Highlight Parts, Models, Players & More in Less Than A Minute

Hiya there, I am madzxla_tycoon and I will be showing you how to highlight parts! You can also apply highlights on models, possibly meshes (not checked) and more!

Keep in mind: As of today the maximum amount of highlights that can be rendered on the screen is 31 instances, if you disable a highlight it will still count towards the count. (thanks to @IcyMonstrosity)

This is my first tutorial, feel free to give feedback! I will be updating this guide frequently!

Highlighted part vs Non-highlighted part

Highlighted part’s conture appears behind walls (parts, objects, etc)

Summary

In this tutorial, we will go over:
  • How to highlight parts & models
  • Highlight colors and transparencies

(Possible) Use Cases

• In a tutorial, highlight something to draw attention
  • In PVP or multiplayer games, you can highlight teammates
  • Have a task system? Highlight a part or model or pretty much anything to let the player know where the task can be completed
  • Red highlights can also be used as a damage indicator

Highlighting Basics

Before all the fancy customization, you need to know the basics!
  1. Create a part (skip if already done)

select workspace…
add the part…
and we have a part!

1. Insert the Highlight “Object”

select my inserted part…
click the small plus…
search for “Highlight”…
and we have a part with a highlight!

The Fancy Customization

This is the most fun part! You get to mess around with all the colors! But we can't make that a
  1. numbered list

so here is all the customization:

Colors

Colors are quite important, gotta admit… well… Let’s go change some colors!

1. Open the Properties Tab (skip if you have it open)
    head over to the view tab…
    make it open…
    and we have it open!

2. Select the Highlight inside the part
    okay… whats next?

3. Edit the colors!
    all these options… which one do we choose?
    fill color… alright…
    click on the current color (aka the red square) and pick a color… that wasn’t so hard!
    amazing!!

Outlines

Outlines? You must really like to customize things! Let’s get into it!

1. Open the Properties Tab (skip if you have it open)
    head over to the view tab…
    make it open…
    and we have it open!

2. Select the Highlight inside the part
    okay… whats next?

3. Change the outline color! (or disable the outline)

Outline Colors

all these options again… we need to search for OutlineColor…
click on the current color (aka the red square) and pick a color for the outline…
great job! (as always)

Disabling Outline

when will they remove these useless options? we need to search for OutlineTransparency…
finally! a slider… now set the transparency to 1 (or if you don’t want it that noticable set it to .5 or anything you want
and we have it disabled! now it looks like a normal colored part…

The End!

I hope this helped you understand highlights.

This is my first tutorial, so if I am wrong somewhere or you have any suggestions feel free to let me know!

Thanks for reading! - @madzxla_tycoon

10 Likes

Woah I did not know how to highlight parts before. Wonders that its just inserting an object and mesing with its properties. Tysm!

4 Likes

I believe roblox never made an announcement about this instance. It was a thing for months, but it did nothing. I noticed it was silently enabled a few days after it came out, and developers slowly started to also figure that out. I wonder if I missed a memo or something?

This instance was enabled months ago though, so nothing new really.

3 Likes

I’m glad that this tutorial helped you!

I haven’t also noticed any announcements from Roblox or anyone on the DevForum talking about this. At first I discovered this feature on a game I was playing and I didn’t see it anywhere else, until it slowly started to silently spread over most games.

1 Like

want to point out a little fact about the highlights of Roblox, as of today the maximum amount of highlights that can be rendered on the screen is 31 instances, you can get around this by inserting the highlight in a model but you may get a difference in results as the highlights wont overlap

• if you disable a highlight it will still count towards the count so deleting it would be best

Source: Highlight | Roblox Creator Documentation

5 Likes

Hi there, thanks for pointing this out. Personally, I doubt that anyone will use more than 31 highlights. You can always make some sort of system to prevent this with deleting and inserting the highlights back. You just need to understand when to do that process. It could be a system that if you are not looking at that part the highlight gets deleted, but I am not sure if that’s possible.

Will be adding some extra content to this soon + some cases how you can use it in scripting

Thank you for all the feedback! Updating soon!

I didn’t know that this existed, i did see it on another game i thought: “Hm, the devs probably made a system for this…” Anyways, pretty helpful tutorial.

1 Like

Glad this tutorial helped you!

1 Like