Highlights now support Outlines on Mobile [Client Beta]

Oh my god! Truly amazing, and well-needed in the community as well! Step in the right direction Roblox!

10 Likes

Looking awesome :fire:

Hope you guys add more awesome features for mobile in the future!!

6 Likes

What’d be great to have a lesser impact on perfomance, is to add material configuration. Stuff such as (an example) selfillium 1 on a glowing texture instead of relying on neon parts. Unreal Engine 2004 and Source Engine already has this, why not roblox?

12 Likes

In all likelihood this is technologically impossible. 31 is 1 off from 32, which is a power of two - Roblox likely reserves one highlight layer for core UI so I imagine the limitation here is that they can only allocate 32 of a certain resource under the hood. So it’s not about choice but computer limitations.

8 Likes

Man, I have been waiting for this for far too long, and they finally delivered.

I’m going to highlight everything in my game right now because there isn’t an excuse not to anymore, lmao.

Yeah, and when will we have anti-aliasing for our highlights? You think it should be mandatory from the start, right?

To be honest, I find it strange that it has not been added in over two years.

5 Likes

Man, i know, we all know. I just believe having arbitrary limitations is dumb and a waste of time on the side of the actual engineers. The lack of any arbitrary limitations could potentially help developers make better games and also help newer developers understand why optimization is good.

5 Likes

32 layers is my guess for this limitation.

5 Likes

That means I can finally see highlights, even though I’m already on PC! :smiley:

8 Likes

It’d be nice in an ideal world. However, it’s likely that 32 isn’t arbitrary at all - my guess is that they’ve measured device hardware being used to play Roblox and based on available memory for framebuffers etc they’ve found that 32 is the most that the hardware can support. It doesn’t sound like a decision was made, so much as an observation on physical hardware limits.

10 Likes

Any plans to take more advantage of higher-end mobile hardware? It’s pretty unfortunate that my iPad Pro M4, probably one of the most powerful mobile devices, is only able to handle “low-end” highlights and misses out on features like depth of field.

10 Likes

This doesnt make much sense when you can group players in the server under a model and extend highlights beyond the “limit” (since that seems to only count for one) without any performance impact.

4 Likes

any updates on future lighting on android? mid 2024 is june to august

4 Likes

i had got the beta early on my tablet before this announcement,

any plans for anti alias for outlines for mobile because they looked pixelated?

5 Likes

The highlights in that case merge together. It’s not about geometric complexity - it’s about whether the highlighted objects share the same outline buffer or not.

Each Highlight instance seems to map 1:1 with an underlying buffer. So parenting everything under one highlight doesn’t have any extra resource overhead - you just rasterise more to a single buffer.

I wonder if it’d be useful for Highlights to be linkable so you can make them render to the same buffer, or somehow have a proxy instance of some kind to extend a Highlight to cover a different hierarchy. There’s a feature request in there somewhere :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Are there any plans to implement a thickness property that for now will only work on desktop and may later be implemented on mobile devices?

Doesn’t seem too unreasonable considering mobile devices initially didn’t support Highlight outlines when desktop already had for a decent while. I would even enjoy this property if it only worked for desktop if you guys have no intention of rewriting your optimized mobile algorithm.

3 Likes

Can the 31 instance highlight limit be removed please? Performance optimizations should be decided by the developer, not hardcoded in.

5 Likes

To this day, highlights randomly dont work for some characters and sometimes it highlights the whole workspace. Still an unreliable mess

4 Likes

Ideal world? Maaaaaaan all they gotta do is just get one guy to spend 5 minutes of their day to remove the code that handles the cap or set the cap to like infinity or something. Everyone is well aware about whatever hardware limitation. My issue is with how roblox specifically imposes their arbitrary performance numbers on their developers INSTEAD of letting the developers choose for themselves. I am well aware (like everyone here) that having 5 billion different highlights at once will likely crash most clients and devices however if that happens or not should be the fault of the developer and not something roblox should be forcefully avoiding. Every feature we have gotten so far was always bottlenecked beyond any reasonable point because of one stupid reason or another.

I’m not exactly sure how i should feel about the 32 highlight limit either. If 32 highlights somehow happen to be way too much for like a Iphone 4 or whatever then why let developers play around with the highlight’s graphical fidelity options? I think most people could get away with running highlights at half resolution! Maybe even quarter. Maybe EVEN LESS!

3 Likes

Well I would agree although would use different wording! Highlights were not in a good shape and we are fixing it.

Highlights are getting a lot of care and about 20 bugs has been fixed in last 6 months. Like this fix, mobile outlines were much much bigger undertaking one would expect :).

Anyway if you have any form of stable repro of what you are mentioning please DM it to me. I want highlights to be fully functional feature

6 Likes

:heart: Happy that you are happy. We do this for you guys :slight_smile:

The way highlights are implemented within the system is not compatible with traditional anti aliasing. On mobile it is even more complex as they are computed at lower resolution than screen.

I’ll keep it in mind that this is requested by community though, maybe we’ll come up with solution

Btw highlights are (kind of) anti aliased (now after upgrades) on both desktop and mobile when you have high DPI monitor (or screen)

6 Likes