HintService 2.9.5 (Discontinued) | Legacy hints reimagined, customizable, straight-forward, and simple

Update 1.2!

@Regenitical, @NinjaFurfante07, @Vyntrick, @d_ytme, @alexinite.

Features:

Hints will now stack automatically when new ones are added.

You can now change features around the text, eg: background color, corner radius, and border stroke.

You can now change text features, eg: text stroke, text colors, and editing.

Easily detect when a hint is added or removed with HintService.HintAdded and HintService.HintRemoving

Release notes:
Make sure to have an RBXScriptConnection above all .new() constructors to work properly.

2 Likes

Could we get a video of these new features?

1 Like

Update 1.3!

Features:

You can set the location of the hint, eg: Left, Center or Right, in the .new()

All hints now hide when the roblox game menu is opened.

A panel that allows the player to manage hints (coming soon.)

This would be great for subtitles tbh. I will most likely be using it! Also is it possible to list the API? That way people can know how to use it? Thanks!

Sure! I will work on the api today. I will PM you the docs.

1 Like

Hey Developers! HintService has not had an update for a while. Reply to this post telling me what feature you want added!

Hello, I just wanted to give a suggestion. You should add docs as that would make it a bit easier to tell us how to use this module. Also a code snippet using this module would help a ton while making a game using this (what can be modified and what it looks like in-game)

1 Like

I love how its like the old hints but modernized! I will probably use this

1 Like

Update 1.4 chugging along!

Features:

Ability to change/set tween properties to your liking.

Using a faster and newer version of @stravant’s signal implementation (GoodSignal implementation).

New Docs.

Set hint and text transparency.

Yielding thread is optional with hints (Hint:activateHint(yieldThread : boolean)) (This feature is already live)

*Hint .Changed event.

*Change font and font size.

(*) Means this feature could be coming next or later.

2 Likes

as of right now i don’t need it BUT maybe i will in the future great job

1 Like

Thank you, @teyougin!

I value your opinion, so is there any features that you would like added to this module for future use?

1 Like

Update 1.4!

Features:

Ability to change/set tween properties to your liking.

Using a faster and newer version of @stravant’s signal implementation (GoodSignal implementation).

New Docs.

Set hint and text transparency.

Yielding thread is optional with hints ( Hint:activateHint(yieldThread : boolean) ) (This feature is already live)

Hint .Changed event.

Change font and font size.

hmm maybe you can add something that tells you your username when you display hints
example: “username the chest with the secret item is over there, go get it NOW!”

1 Like

You can already do that be default. Example:

Hint:setLabel(string.format("%s the chest with the secret item is over there, go get it NOW!", game:GetService("Players").LocalPlayer.Name))

If I were playing the game, %s would display as my username, of course you can always change it to DisplayName

1 Like

Is there a way to have a hint controlled by a script? So you can control when it fades away.

1 Like

What do you mean, do you mean like instead of relying on setVisibleTime as the amount of time your hint takes to appear and disappear, have a function that allows you to cancel the hint entirely?

Yes, so you can cancel the hint when they have done the action implied by the hint.
Like:

- Turn on the PC.
local Hint = HS.new("Center", false)
Hint:setLabel("Turn on the PC.")
Hint:activateHint(true)

- They have turned it on.
Prompt.Activated:Wait()
Hint:activateHint(false)
1 Like

Ok so you want me to add this?:

Hint:cancelHint()

That would work if there was an infinitely shown card (not sure if there is.).
Other than that, this is a great module. Thanks!

1 Like

What do you mean by this? Will the function above achieve what you need it to?

(I will add your feature requests in 1.5)

1 Like