Hiring a programmer for a vehicle chassis

About Us

Hi we are Jumoki, an upcoming game studio working on Derby Wars, a high-action car game.

The Team
Sir_Trolling, @Sir_TrollingRBX - Project Lead, Head Builder
EGOTISMS, @EGOTISMS_RBLX - UI Designer
xXLegendarySoldierXx, @LegendaryS_RBLX - Head Scripter

Progress

Pictures

You can see our progress so far here:

gameplay
logo
possibleChar
garage2
garage1
CityMap

About The Job

We are looking for a scripter to program the vehicle chassis with basic vehicle functions in addition to unique features. These features include an automatic flip function, deterioration upon damage (increasingly damaged car body meshparts will rotate in and out of visibility), and drifting if possible.

Payment

The payment can be a percentage of game revenue (5% - 10%), or USD (25 - 100). Payment can be negotiated later.

Contact Us

You can contact us here on the Developer Forum, Twitter at: https://twitter.com/legendarys_rblx , or on Discord at xXLegendarySoldierXx#4929
You must be 13 years or older to apply.

Thank you for reading!
xXLegendarySoldierXx - Head Scripter

1 Like

Looking at the above, it seems like the programmer tasked to ‘make or break’ the game (I would dare calling car mechanics vital in a game about cars) for either a lump sum which would equate to far below minimum wage if translated to hours or a shimmer of the actual revenue the game makes. I’d highly recommend revising this offer, as the balance is wildly off.

5 Likes

Considering its only one asset to the entire game, and only needs to be done once, AND there are tutorials on it we figure the price is correct. Like we mentioned drifting is not a must, and auto-flipping is easy to program in.

1 Like

If it is easy enough with a tutorial or easy in overall, then it seems highly peculiar that the lead scripter can’t take care of it. Car physics are actually not all that simple, especially not if they’re to be accurate, the way you talk this offer down as if it’s nothing is sketchy at best. It’s a time consuming task and likely requires someone with plenty of experience, both time and experience are costly.

1 Like

The said lead scripter has other things to take care of. If we want to release in a timely manner, it would be easier to contract someone else to make that one asset. If I failed to mention, it is negotiable, like everything.

1 Like

An automatic flip function isn’t too hard. There are tons of free models of that.

As far as getting a car to handle in a manner than allows some form of drifting, that can be harder to get quite right. And a system that allows parts of the car to be damaged in certain ways is even harder. A system like that would require specific working on each car. That sort of thing alone could take double or triple the time of simply making the car drive.

Considering you’re listed as the lead scripter, I’ll ask this question more personally to you. Do you have in your head an idea of remotely how to make a car drive properly & how to go about the damage script? Because that’s some hella complex level stuff you seem to be passing off as a 2-5 hour excursion.

1 Like

Well, for the damage part each car is made in blender, so the 3D modeler will mess up the current body of the car in 3 stages and from there it’s just the matter of subtracting health and whatnot and changing the body transparencies. And I suppose the easiest way to go about making a car is using prismatic constraints, and hinges. I don’t know how to program drifting myself, which is why I did not list it as a must need.

I had figured that’s roughly what you’d do (have multiple meshes), however your damage system will fall into an area of issues resulting from Vision Lag as Roblox currently offers no predictive pathing for vehicles. Or atleast, I’m assuming that apart of the damage systems for a demo derby game is damage when running into each other. That can lead to some faulty stuff happening when a user sees a collision in one way, but the server sees it in another. I’ve worked on a system before that account for driver to driver contact giving players a certain damage percent, and that can be super bad for two players who are somewhat lagging.

Very interesting thread by the way. Damage is dealt by shooting each other with weapons and possible damage dealt with vehicles.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.