Hitting enter in a textbox places a carriage return before finalizing input (broken again)

This keeps happening and its really annoying since i am trying to test chat commands.
i also decided to check though string.byte using this code

for _,v in pairs(game.Players:GetPlayers()) do 
v.Chatted:Connect(function(msg)
print(v.Name.." "..string.byte(string.sub(msg,#msg)))
end)
end

and the last string byte code is always 13 (return) for all the players

1 Like

Also happens in the roblox studio searchbar adds a space at the end, making it hard to find items in the toolbox

Edit: Only happens when pressing enter, you can still click on the search icon and it will act normal

2 Likes

Roblox needs to stop making changes to how a core system of the engine works without giving us all a heads up.

Iā€™m so glad I sanitize my inputs by just doing string.gsub(Input, "%c", ""). It removes all control characters, so \r and \b and all that junk wonā€™t get in my way.

20 Likes

Sums up the last few months pretty clearlyā€¦ like I understand mistakes happen but honestly time after time again it makes me wonder what is going on down there. Do they even QA test anything? Random updates causing physics issues, render, networking, now this(even though this is smaller). At least they usually resolve them in a somewhat quick manner , but we shouldnā€™t have to worry about them breaking stuff. But I digress from the topic

10 Likes

I may have found a workaround for this bug, at least for chat commands:
https://gyazo.com/71c43b1692122c789d7dcd02088684be
Enter the command you want, enter an extra character, and press backspace and enter at almost the same time. The command will work as normal, and the carriage return will not be inserted.

4 Likes

Can confirm, am experiencing this issue in my games resulting in our custom admin script to break.

2 Likes

This has affected my game as well, very severely as thereā€™s a code bar that allows people to teleport to different servers or search for specific servers.

2 Likes

From what I can tell, this carriage return bug seems to be breaking more than just the CoreGui chat.

I noticed that sometimes when writing code, I press enter to create a newline and a carriage return is inserted instead. Then, my code wonā€™t even compile, throwing the error:

Unexpected Unicode character: U+2028. Did you mean ā€™ '?

When I removed the stray carriage return character, I then got an error stating that I was missing an end on line 25, but my code was only 23 lines long and clearly was not missing an end.

This problem seems related, so I figured Iā€™d share it here.

8 Likes

Faced similar issue today, broke our gameā€™s custom admin

+1 for @boatbomberā€™s fix of sanitizing inputs with string.gsub(input, "%c", ""), worked like a charm for us - thank you!

Also note: this issue only seems to be happening in live games, not in Studio tests for some reason (for us, anyways)

7 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m having a simmilar issue, I was wondering if anyone had any idea when it would get fixed?

1 Like

The ROBLOXįžµCRITICAL tag was removed from the forums.

PSA: Please donā€™t post similar issue or ā€˜also experiencing thisā€™ etc, please just ā€˜likeā€™ the original post; this way we can keep the replies relevant to engineers, which is especially crucial with critical issues.

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

1 Like

Adding on to this, for input in which you cannot apply the previously mentioned formatting fix yourself, a temporary solution to this problem is to do Ctrl+Shift+Enter before submitting input.

2 Likes

we will be looking into this today, we will report back when we have a solution

17 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

1 Like

Every time I hit enter in chat, itā€™s leaving a blank message, instead of not sending a message at all, causing a lot of weird chat spam. Iā€™m guessing this is related.

2 Likes

Thanks for your guys patience. We have reverted the flag that causes this problem. Could you help check are those issues still present?

10 Likes

Can confirm that the issue no longer occurs in Adopt Me.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still having problems with the Studio script editor, where I occasionally get hidden syntax errors of

Unexpected Unicode character: U+2028. Did you mean ā€™ '?

2 Likes

The script editor does not utilize our lua textbox input pipeline, but QT instead. I will forward this for the other team to look at.
while afaik about this, are you frequently copy/pasting sources around, e.g. sharing code using chatting apps like discord/slack and copy them back? Or it just happens when you are doing all typings inside our script editor? It says you have a unicode line return character.

3 Likes