Home screen UX needs to be reverted

What are you using? Mine is just well:

2 Likes

In typical Roblox fashion, it’s an AB test. You might not have it.

3 Likes

Bumping this, please Roblox, stop ignoring us. Somehow they’re managing to just ignore everybody totally here as usual which is not making me very happy to say the least.

5 Likes

Is the CCU information not a mouse click away?
To me, it seems like a good change so players don’t brush off random games simply because they have 20 players instead of over 1K players.

6 Likes

Agreed.

It’s experimental anyway, so there’s no need to freak out just yet if you don’t like it.

1 Like

I posted this in the announcement thread, but I’ll post it here too:

I made some code to put the player counts back!

To run it, you need to install a browser extension such as TamperMonkey or ViolentMonkey, then make a new script with the following code:

Code
// ==UserScript==
// @name        16:9 Player Count
// @namespace   Violentmonkey Scripts
// @match       https://www.roblox.com/*
// @grant       none
// @version     1.0
// @author      PoppyandNeivaarecute
// @description 4/9/2024, 10:55:28 AM
// ==/UserScript==

let Count = 0
let Total = 0
let GameCounts = {}
let Universes = []
function Delay2() {
    if (Count != Total) {
        setTimeout(Delay2, 100)
    }
    else {
        for (let i = 0; i < Universes.length; i += 50) {
            const chunk = Universes.slice(i, i + 50)

let xhr = new XMLHttpRequest()
            let params = JSON.stringify(chunk).replace('[', "").replace("]", "").replaceAll('"', '').replaceAll("'", "")
            xhr.open("GET", "https://games.roblox.com/v1/games?universeIds=" + params)
            xhr.send()

function check1() {
                if (xhr.status != 200) {
                    window.setTimeout(check1, 100)
                }
                else {
                    let loaded = JSON.parse(xhr.response)
                    for (let info of loaded.data) {
                        GameCounts[info.id] = info.playing
                    }
                }
            }
            check1()
        }
    }
}

function AddPlayerCounts(games) {
    Total = games.length
    setTimeout(Delay2, 5)
    for (let game of games) {
        let card = game.getElementsByClassName("base-metadata")[0].getElementsByClassName("game-card-info")[0]
        card.innerHTML = card.innerHTML + '<span class="info-label icon-playing-counts-gray"></span>'

let Universe = game.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.getAttribute('id')
        Universes.push(Universe)
        Count += 1

function GetInfo(){        
            if (!(Universe in GameCounts)) {
                window.setTimeout(GetInfo, 100)
            }
            else {
                let playing = GameCounts[Universe]
                card.innerHTML = card.innerHTML + '<span class="info-label playing-counts-label">' + playing + '</span></div>' 
            }
        }
        GetInfo()
    }
}

function Delay() {
    let games = document.getElementsByClassName("wide-game-tile-metadata");
    if (games.length == 0) {
        setTimeout(Delay, 250)
    }
    else {
        AddPlayerCounts(games)
    }
}

document.onreadystatechange = function () {
    if (document.readyState == "complete") {
        Delay()
    }
}

Note that sometimes you do have to refresh, due to none of the loading events tested being 100% reliable. It hasn’t been tested when it says that a friend is playing it, but I think it should still work?

9 Likes

I had a dream they readded it… Why is life so cruel… Please hear us out…

1 Like

I agree, so much. I can not stand this new home page. I feel like I’m on the discovery page. I don’t like the top picks, I don’t like how much space it takes up. It’s impossible to focus on one thing, and I have to scroll to find my friends, and recently played. No idea why this was added.

1 Like

Okay, it was one thing to just hide it when friends played the game. But the UX is just getting really annoying since. They keep on making it worse and it is starting to add up and becoming horrible.

1 Like

It is just a click away, you’re right. But it’s a lot easier to see the player counts from all these games, all at once. That requires zero clicks for all of them combined.

2 Likes

Revamped the topic a little bit to address the homepage’s UX in general instead of just one point (16:9 tiles).

1 Like

Roblox supported localisation for game Icons. Now this is essentially useless because new users who see the game from the homepage see the thumbnail instead of the icon. This makes the game less accessible/appealing to foreigners. Roblox really did not think this through.

If only I had permission to make a feature request for localisation-support on thumbnails. If anyone does make a request, please let me know.

2 Likes

I disagree, I personally like this decision that Roblox has made. It gives me a chance to try different games every once in a while even and so on.

1 Like

I love the new 16:9 game icons but the player count is essential.

It isn’t that bad :sob:. I ngl like it, but at least it is an experiment like they said in #updates .

1 Like

I found the player count removal annoying but this crap feels like some sort of violation against my eyes. They’re breaking every law of UX design ever here.

3 Likes

My only wishes would be friends on top, player count return, and removing that goofy border. Also Todays Picks could be integrated in a better way, this row factor is getting kinda boring.

1 Like

I’m genuinely curious whose idea it was to move the friends list so far down that you need to scroll to even see it.

this crap feels like some sort of violation against my eyes.

I don’t think there’s a better way you could’ve put it.

2 Likes

bumping this

something needs to be done about this

2 Likes

I really hope this is reverted, I’m not sure what’s with this trend of platforms making everything on their homepage massive, and the excuse I see a lot is the claim of “making it more accessible to users with touch screens” like, okay, why is this on desktop then? It’s so frustrating to see games that you want to refer back to because of the very active effort to push games people haven’t played before.

If you don’t want to scroll endlessly to find your favorited games you have to go to your own profile page, which is also kind of hidden. for whatever reason these massive 16:9 thumbnails appear above your recently played section too, why? it was literally fine before, and the fact that they changed the name of recently played to “continue” makes this choice even more baffling and contradictory.

They’re basically saying “Here’s a list of games you may want to continue playing, oh but you’ll probably have to scroll through a bunch of games you probably don’t even want to play to see them though.”

This feels like such an aimless decision because now, instead of the homepage being full of games you want to play again, or saved to play for later, it’s instead a jumbled list of games that doesn’t seem to know what it should be.

I would be more okay with this if it were an update to the discover page (this update seems to serve the purpose of improving game discoverability), but it’s not, it’s an update to the page meant to list games that you already have/want to play.

this is madness.

EDIT: And another thing

I feel like if you guys really want to go through with this (which you shouldn’t) you could’ve at least used some of the space inside the massive thumbnails for information that was previously there, kinda like YouTube does when showing the length of a video, or the amount of videos in a playlist.

Like for example, maybe have a little box in the corners to show if your friends are playing, and the player count. Also why is the like/dislike ratio truncated to simply a percentage. This is just such a strange decision to me, like, bring the little bar back that showed more specific numbers. Having it just be a percentage is actively hiding IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

Even if the percentage of likes is really high, that could just be because there was a small handful of people who played it, and they all liked it. I mean sure, your game may have a 100% like rating, but that’s because there’s only one person who actually voted.

Edit: And another another thing

For this very reason, users that see games with a low percentage of likes to dislikes are discouraged from even clicking on a game in the first place. like, is it really fair for a small game with a couple hundred visits to get screwed out of interest because someone only saw a low percentage of likes? Just something to think about :]

4 Likes