How are skill slots possible?

I want to create skill slots correct? And I want it to save, I want to try and do something like shindo or other games that save your skill slots, how is it possible, and what can I use? And at the moment I have folders inside of the player called skill slots but I dont know how to go farther then that. Any other ways?

1 Like

You can have a table of the skills and when the players leaves you can use the datastoreservice to save the table and load it when a player joins if you want to set a value object with the table then use http service to encode to and decode it and set that to a string value

1 Like

By reading this I’m assuming this method of handling data is the extent of your data storing knowledge.

I recommend you learn how to create datastore modules to store and edit tables aswell as view them
your current method of storing data (folders within player) would just make it difficult and tedious.

I couldn’t find the Datastore module tutorial I used that was on the documentation website. to give you as a resource.heres all i could fidnd atm

I recommend using ProfileService after you learn how to make / use datastore modules I find it very useful

Example of my datastore modules with ProfileService
function StatsManager.AddToStat(Player,Stat,Amount)
local Profile = DataManager:GetPlayerProfile(Player)
local Data = Profile.Data

Data[Stat] += Amount
end

An Example of how you might do what you asked

let’s say your player data table looks like…

local PlayerData_Example = {
Speed = 1
Strength = 1 
SkillSlots = {} -- Table where u manager SkillSlots in player data
}

We make a datastore manager for skill slots like…

SkillSlotManager = {}
function SkillSlotManager.AddSkill(Player,Skill_ID)
	local Data = "How ever you decide to retrieve Player Data"
	table.insert(Data.SkillSlots,Skill_ID) --// Skill_ID would be  an ID or name of the skill being stored
end

--RemoveSkill()  // An function u will need to make
return SkillSlotManager

This is just a rough idea of how everything might look / work this code doesn’t work it is just an example

2 Likes

Thanks, ill get to it. Still learning datastore