How do i clean up Instances that are inside of nil without parenting to get around the Destroy function?

when i did this

while wait() do
    local part = Instance.new("Part")
    part:Destroy() --destroy ends up not working because part is already in nil
end

i found out that Destroy dont work on objects that are already in nil because i went into the developer console and turns out theres a memory leak caused by the code above. If i comment out those lines of code, the memory leak doesnt happen and thats how i know the code above is the one causing the memory leak.

while wait() do
    part.Parent = game
end

further evidence supporting that destroy doesnt work when Instance is already in nil is this code above. The memory leak gets fixed if i parent the instance object to something that is not nil first and then i call on Destroy

so how do i clean up Instance without using parenting to get around the fact that destroy doesnt clean up any Instance whos parent is already nil or is this a problem with roblox and there is in fact no way to do what i want without getting around?

You may want to use debris service for this

I have tested out a similar code piece, it seems to work fine with no memory leaks jumping to 0.030 MB before dropping down to 0.

debug.setmemorycategory("Part creation then destroy test")

local running = true

while running do
	wait()
	for i=1, 5000 do
	end
end

The long gap I believe was caused when I took a screen shot which lagged the engine a bit.

Tested twice with changing the wait() position and increasing the number of parts created, similar result

debug.setmemorycategory("Part creation then destroy test")

local running = true

while wait() do
	for i=1, 10000 do
	end
end

yeah your right. I didnt test it long enough. It seems like roblox is doing automatic gc after waiting around for a good minute or two. Destroy still do nothing to instances already in nil. After testing for 15 minutes +, the code i showed will cause a memory leak for brief moment before roblox realizes those objects are useless and do their automatic gc. Roblox does automatic gc with or without destroy

1 Like

Instances still get kept in memory if there’s a strong reference of it kept in a closure. For example, the Part in the following code will never be cleared due to it being referenced in the callback for RunService.Heartbeat.

local Part: Part = Instance.new("Part")

game:GetService("RunService").Heartbeat:Connect(function()
	print(Part)
	Part.Position += Vector3.yAxis
end)

task.delay(3, game.Destroy, Part)

To make sure Instances get properly cleared, you should disconnect any RBXScriptConnections that reference it even indirectly.

local Part: Part = Instance.new("Part")

local OnHeartbeat: RBXScriptConnection = game:GetService("RunService").Heartbeat:Connect(function()
	print(Part)
	Part.Position += Vector3.yAxis
end)

Part.Destroying:Connect(function()
	OnHeartbeat:Disconnect()
end)

task.delay(3, game.Destroy, Part)

Remember, this only applies if you using a connection of a signal outside of the Instance. All connections to an Instance are immediately disconnected once said Instance is destroyed.