How do i create a 3D "pixel" effect?

Is it possible to create a pixel effect in Roblox like shown in the image?

It’s currently impossible to do so without immense amounts of lag, since the only solution is to create A LOT of frame objects and change their color by using ray casting, but that’ll result in at least 10 fps on a good day.

1 Like

I recommend just using photoshop, paint.net, or other programs to create this “pixel effect”. I personally recommend paint.net because it has plenty of plugins that can allow you to create this effect, and its free from dotPDN. Or you could just create this effect from hand with pixel art.

1 Like

what if im willing to expirence immense amount of lag, how would i do that? can you create a example script?

If you’re creating a game, then please for the love of god don’t do it. You’re not gonna gain players if you do so. However, if this is a fun little project or something, then go ahead I guess.

I’m not going to send a script due to that being basically spoonfeeding, but I can give you a quick overview on how you can do it.

First you would need to create the frames, you can do that by using 2 for i arrays for each dimension, whereas you can then control the resolution.

Next you’d need to raycast from each pixel position, whereas if the raycast hits something you’ll get the color of the thing it hits, and after that you can set the frame’s color to that hit color.

There’s this free model mirror script I think you should look into.

I used it in my VidCam 2 and 3 models.

The point of scripting is not to use free models…

Exactly. That’s why I learned it. I will explain it here:

The script inside will have 2 for loops. One of them goes by X, another goes by Y. The one by X will actually raycast and draw the pixels, while the one by Y is just used as a variable. The raycast uses the X/Y coordinates to determine the origin and direction of the raycast, and determining on the result of it, it will draw a frame. Additionally, it will make it more transparent the further it is away.

You can see why I didn’t want to code that 3 years ago.

Honestly, come on, that is way too complicated and you can literally download images from roblox and use a free photo editing program that does the work for you that takes little to no time. Its also really simple, and creates no lag except for a few kilobytes because of image processing by using little of your wifi’s bandwidth and try to switch your screen’s pixels as fast as it can which can cause gpu lag to get the selected image and upload it onto the player’s screen which would remove the little spike after its finished configuring the pixels anyways. I don’t see why you’d go with the alternative to use a roblox script to do it instead with a bunch of huge downsides.

This will fix your “problem” i guess?

1 Like

This is exactly what I was thinking. I realize now that that server script is not meant to be run on the server. It is meant for the client. It’s way faster, and gets the job done.

1 Like

That’s such a cool idea, using a ViewportFrame is much less laggy. That thread is clearly the solution.

1 Like