How do I delete data for a user ID from a game that didn't use Data Stores?

When I got home today, I had been given a Right to Erasure message from roblox for a game that was old enough to not be making use of data stores. (It used the now dead Data Persistence system)

My question is how do I delete this data? The functions that worked on this only worked on a specific player instance that I don’t think I can get back.

the game in question is:
https://www.roblox.com/games/403358743/unnamed

It is currently inactive (has been since 2016) and is not meant to re-open anytime soon.

I will avoid mentioning the user id in particular due to security reasons.

2 Likes

Bit sure how the data persistence system worked, but if it stored their data, and your game is dead and inactive, honestly just delete the scripts. You should remove data when you receive a Right to Erasure message from Roblox, however I got one a few months ago for a user who has never stepped foot in my game, so it’s possible that the player might not have even entered the game.

“Please note that you must delete the User ID from all of your records, and not just from your data stores. The pages linked above are provided for informational purposes and are not intended to provide a comprehensive method of deleting User IDs.” It isn’t just datastores FYI.

1 Like

All you need to do is delete any of the user’s data you have stored in your game - exactly what it says. If you have none whatsoever, you don’t need to do anything and you can’t do anything because no such data exists.

1 Like

That won’t delete the data.

Data persistence requires a Player instance, and the player isn’t joining your game anytime soon if they sent a ROE request. That’s the problem.

4 Likes

I don’t believe Roblox can hold you liable for not complying if you can’t access that data in the first place, since you need a player anyway.

Consider supporting this feature request: Cannot fulfill RoE requests for Data Persistence

3 Likes

This is inaccurate. Data is loaded and connected to a user id. You don’t need the user to be in game because you can input the id without them. Think of it like this: You can unban players from your game (even though they can’t join) because you use their user id.

I believe what you are thinking of is using game.Players.PLAYERNAME.UserId to find the user id. In this instance, you do need the player instance, however this is not directly related to saving data. All this does is find the user’s id. So, if you already have the id, then they do not need to be in the game.