How do I do Low Poly?

Hi! I would like to become a Low Poly builder, but I don’t know the tricks to becoming one. I would to create games using Blender and ROBLOX stuidos, but I don’t know where to start off in my building/3D Modeling career.

What do I do to become a Low Poly builder?

How do I 3D Model?

How do I become a successful builder?

My dream is to build, please give me some information.

5 Likes

Well, I started off with a tutorial from Vadez, which taught me simple low poly builds. If you want to focus on land currently, watch this video.

It’s pretty useful for beginners. Shortly after you learn a few simple things, you could probably make a few without tutorials.
I wish you great luck in your endeavours! :smile:

First af all, you need to know what a low poly builder is (refering to Blender) : Low - poly is a technique of 3D modelling that use a small number of polygons. The purpose of low poly is not to create a perfect realistic environment but simplified worlds. … Because first of all, it’s easier to create low poly scenes than realistic scene when you begin to use blender or any 3D modelling applications.

Then, practice is the key to become a better builder. Blender is completely free and there are thousands of tutorials out there. Building at Roblox Studio (with parts) isn’t actually low poly.

Practice, practice and practice. Download Blender and mess some things, then look up for tutorials and try

Well, depends on what do you want to model, but is the same answer, keep practicing with tutorials.

Modeler and builder aren’t the same thing. Modeler is the one who creates the models. E.g. the barrels of a game, the crates, swords, flashlights, etc. And a builder creates the whole world, map, houses etc. Usually builders are also modelers and viceversa. You need to do your best effort at any moment and with any project. Create a portfolio and become the best.

4 Likes

Thank you, I’ll be sure to watch it!

1 Like

Thank you for the information. But, I want to become both builder and 3D Modeler, I’ve been playing since 2015 and I just decided to become a builder/3D Modeler. Blender gets kind of hard to use, is there any shortcuts about blender I could use?

1 Like

Well, Low Poly is essentially an extremely basic build and every texture is Smooth Plastic lol. If you need inspiration, Adopt Me is full of it.

2 Likes

Blender will be easier to use once you use it more and more. If you use a laptop then use a mouse, I suggest just to watch tutorials the first month just to memorize what the people say how to do it. Low poly building only really consists of moving, rotating, scaling, and extruding.

1 Like

two words:
Decimate tool.
Ever tried it?

I actually agree with this, I used to say I would never smell the scent of blender or even think about using it, I put a mental barrier between me and blender just because I thought it was hard to use and complicated, I was wrong, just a few months ago, I started using blender as I was put in a tight spot to finish a certain game, I had to learn how to use it, I had to figure out the small things that make up the big things I thought were complicated at the time, but little did I know how easy it was after a while, I am still learning, but I regret not trying it sooner.

1 Like

Also many people prefers 2.79 than 2.8 or 2.9 because 2.79 is more based to building. While 2.8 and 2.9 is mainly for animating but I prefer 2.9 because I just like how its made.

Hey VonIs_Realz!

I think you should take what I have to say, I’ve been building and modeling for 8 years now. Unfortunately, some of the people above this comment are giving you very vague and wishy washy advice. I want to make it simple and give you options with tangible actions.

What do I do to become a Low Poly builder? / How do I 3D Model?

There is no such thing as a low poly builder, a lowpoly 3d modeler is the term you’re looking for. The whole goal of lowpoly is to create optimized models with the least triangles/polygons as possible. It’s a functional aesthetic. This is not achievable with roblox primitives (parts, cylinders, wedges, spheres).

3D Modeling can be done with any software, Blender, 3DsMax, Sketchup, Maya, however I recommend you start with blender because it’s free.

It is not hard nor is it easy, it is time consuming.

It takes a significant amount of your time invested to be a proficient modeler. Here is a great resource that I suggest you learn from.

Source (Grant Abbit): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFUrFoqvqlN8seaAeEwjlw

Quite literally start, just do it. Sounds vague but there’s no class or school you can take. You start creating what you like, your room, something that you like. It’s going to be crap. You do it again, it’s less crap. Eventually you build and catch onto the patterns, and play with colors better. It’s a process and no one on this devforum can define your style but you.

You can imitate people’s work, and I highly recommend you get geometry plugins like resize align, reflect, Archimedes, if anyone ever attempts to tell you that plugins make you a bad builder they know absolutely nothing and should not be used as a resource.

No one here can answer this, it’s going to be a long time of unrecognized work until you create something that everyone can acknowledge is noteworthy. It heavily depends on what success means to you, notoriety or money.

TLDR:

What do I do to become a Low Poly builder?
Don’t. Unless you want to poorly imitate results from blender.
How do I 3D Model?
Start with blender, it’s free.
Start, practice, revise, and practice. Once you’re done, post your work for others to critique or to praise. Your reflected appraisals can shape how your work impacts others.

Also, in the future just acknowledge the DevForum is a great place for community but you won’t always get the definitive answer you’re looking for.

Conclusion

I wish you the best of luck, go ahead and post on any public medium you want with your work and if I’m in it just tag me. My contact is BloodSpring#5080. I’m interested in seeing what you can create! Good luck.

5 Likes

I’d use Atrazine’s Terrain for low poly terrain, it helps making low poly terrain WAY easier.

Thank you! I’m going to try building my room and see how it turns out, I’ll send you a picture!

use the bevel to is useful it makes your build look less bland

just correcting you, low poly is not at all related to the “smooth plastic” thing ur talking about -_-
low poly is just a use of low number of polygons and the thing ur saying is called “Cartoony” style. Low poly with realistic texture can look like realism model and theres also nohting to do with textures to describe a low poly model.
Once again, Im just correcting you. No offense or anything :smile:

1 Like

Well I guess it depends what your definition of Low-Poly is ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I was just cracking a joke about the “smooth plastic” texture since most low poly builds use that anyways, but Low-Poly isn’t really limited to one definition so I guess we’re both right lol.

Most of the questions you have are already been answered in previous discussed threads, I would consider using the search function. If you don’t have no understanding on a 3D software consider to research as there are many resources available on learning.

There are many 3D software to choose from you just need to pick one and go from there, blender is a common recommended software for creating all sorts of models including complex scenes. Consider to use the latest version 2.8 it will help you get a basic understanding on the interface, UI - tool and other features that are included.

For starting to learn 3D modeling I highly recommend blender guru tutorial (donut & mug) it is a great place to start, it’s incredibly in terms of learning and getting a better understanding with the tools, and workflow of blender. There are other guides that goes into more depth and explains well.

1 Like