How do I get better at making games

Hello! This is my first post on the ROBLOX devfourm. I don’t know what category this goes in, so correct me if this is the wrong one. I am a game developer (a scripter, modeler, etc.) I want to know how I can get better at scripting. I already have knowledge of intermediate programming. Thanks in advance!

(This isn’t my dev acct, just one I use for posting to keep anonymous. I am not trying to impersonate silky_developer, and I am NOT him/her)

1 Like

Recommend to search tutorials in youtube or a guide for beginners.

1 Like

What I started was taking small projects here and there until I felt confident enough to start a long term project. I liked looking for easy projects and then doing the research to grow.

What do you mean by research grow so your saying that you start with basic then you abandon that project and start another one but better is that you mean?

This is most likely a matter of opinion. What I can share with you though is that it just comes down to experience and testing/learning different skills.

Make multiple small games with simple objectives. Going all-in on a single one may make it tiring, so learning bits and pieces will allow you to see what kind of things you can achieve.

Take it as a fun learning opportunity and try to understand the code you reproduce when looking at guides online. I personally used lots of Alvin Blox videos, but having a strong background in coding/scripting has been a big bonus too.

If you are interested in coding, try learning Python. Logic translates between languages too.

I recently created a guide which revolves around learning/improving your scripting skills based on ideologies related to metacognition and various processes involved during the learning process.

Instead of explaining the basis of various elements of coding during the thread, I tried to present novel perspectives that could enable you to focus on making the learning process much smoother & improving the efficacy of your efforts to continue improving, which could apply to developers of any skill level.

1 Like

Well I already told them about guides

No no no. What I did was take easy projects like a “Click to do something” or a “Touch this part so that it does something”, then when I take the project, I simply looked up tutorials on how to do it and then I got better.

Oh so your saying that you learned basic scripts about clickable and jump/speed boost right?

It takes a lot of practice but I think the best way is to often look at youtube tutorials because, a lot of experienced devs are on there giving people tips and tricks and stuff. Thats the best conclusion for me.

I suggest practicing at making random things and then at one point start thinking of grand ideas that nobody else has really done before, and putting the practice you’ve done towards making a full game.

1 Like