How do I import decals with StudioService:PromptImportFiles() without using a temporary asset id?

Ah, well if you’re making a plugin, the above suggestion I made will not work on more than one device. Only you will see them. You will still have to rely on temporary asset IDs.

Why must you need not to use temporary IDs when importing?

Because then only you can them right?

Only I can see them?

That’s the purpose of temporary asset IDs. They exist on the device only, not online, thus why it is called “temporary IDs”. You’re not uploading them, you’re simply letting Roblox Studio use the files you’ve imported only in the current session. Once you leave, they’re gone.

That’s why I don’t wanna use it.

I need everyone to see the images.

You must upload the decals then. That’s the only way you can show your decals to everyone.

Well I know you can use bulk import but it uploads the images then you have to import them into roblox studio by double clicking them, if you have alot of images it’s gonna take too long.

That’s part of how decals in any game are displayed. You upload them and drag and drop them to something solid in Studio. In your case, you copy the ID of an image and paste it to any side of the Skybox.

My plugin loops through different images and sets the new id of the skybox.

You can see how it works here: Animated Skybox For Roblox Studio

Which is also a method done by numerous people, especially in ancient Roblox times. If you don’t mind about the quality of your decals, you can simply downscale them to a size that will be fast enough to upload.

There are no solutions other than to batch upload the assets.

Oh yeah, you can also just add the asset IDs to a table in order, and loop through each ID to animate the skybox, if that’s easier for you.

You can’t add 1000+ ids to a table in order, that’s simply too much.
Since an average day and night in roblox is like 2+ minutes

But oh well, thanks for clarifying the issue.

Why would you need that many frames? Do you really need to have that many? It will not be worth the detail as each image will cost your players some amount of memory, and if you got 1000 images, your players’ devices will struggle.

It will not struggle, I ran it at 300+ fps, it will not even look good if its 2 fps.

It has to be 60 fps for it to look good.

If you have a gaming PC, you’re fine. However, a majority of Roblox users don’t have a beast of a device to run that many frames that fast. Not to mention, the amount of unnecessary bandwidth just to load 1000+ images, and the varying internet speeds and limits Roblox players have.

Just because your PC can doesn’t mean every other device will.

Its 2023, this isn’t 2019 anymore, if you don’t have a good pc then its not my problem, i’m not having a skybox run at 2 fps.

1 Like

Alright then, good luck with the slideshow.

You can also just make a option to turn animated skybox off in your game.