How do I know what to put in the function parameters

So, I’ve been watching these YT tutorials and they include functions. But I don’t know what to put inside the parentheses, and why they are placed there. What are their practical uses?

2 Likes

Depends on what you want to do.

One of the most common is generating a part because theres a lot of settings that must be done to modify the part in order to make it look good and what you want, size, position, CFrame, CanCollide, Anchored all that like the video AlvinBlox tutorial has done:

It can get really intense, here’s mine which generates a simple spherical part explosion for debugging purposes. I put the parameters to specify I want this explosion at this position and with this size. I do not care about anything else like the color since I want it all to be the same so I neglect to put that as the parameters.

Oh lawd it's long
local function createPartExplosionVisuals(position,blastRadius)
	local radiusVisualization = Instance.new("Part")
	radiusVisualization.Shape = Enum.PartType.Ball
	radiusVisualization.Size = Vector3.new(blastRadius*2,blastRadius*2,blastRadius*2)
	radiusVisualization.Position = position
	radiusVisualization.Transparency = 0.5
	radiusVisualization.BrickColor = BrickColor.Red()
	radiusVisualization.Anchored = true

local radiusVisualization2 = Instance.new("Part")
	radiusVisualization2.Shape = Enum.PartType.Ball
	radiusVisualization2.Size = Vector3.new(blastRadius*1.5,blastRadius*1.5,blastRadius*1.5)
	radiusVisualization2.Position = position
	radiusVisualization2.Transparency = 0.5
	radiusVisualization2.BrickColor = BrickColor.new(41)
	radiusVisualization2.Anchored = true

local orangePart = Instance.new("Part")
	orangePart.Shape = Enum.PartType.Ball
	orangePart.Size = Vector3.new(blastRadius*1.25,blastRadius*1.25,blastRadius*1.25)
	orangePart.Position = position
	orangePart.Transparency = 0.5
	orangePart.BrickColor = BrickColor.Yellow()
	orangePart.Anchored = true

orangePart:SetAttribute("XRayIgnore",true)
	radiusVisualization:SetAttribute("XRayIgnore",true)
	radiusVisualization2:SetAttribute("XRayIgnore",true)
	orangePart.CastShadow = false
	radiusVisualization2.CastShadow = false
	radiusVisualization.CastShadow = false

orangePart.Material = Enum.Material.SmoothPlastic
	radiusVisualization.Material = Enum.Material.SmoothPlastic
	radiusVisualization2.Material = Enum.Material.SmoothPlastic
	PhysicsService:SetPartCollisionGroup(radiusVisualization2,"NonHittable")
	PhysicsService:SetPartCollisionGroup(orangePart,"NonHittable")
	PhysicsService:SetPartCollisionGroup(radiusVisualization,"NonHittable")

orangePart.Parent = workspace
	radiusVisualization.Parent = workspace

local decayTime = 0.75
	FastDebris(radiusVisualization,decayTime)
	FastDebris(orangePart,decayTime)
	FastDebris(radiusVisualization2,decayTime)
end

Now I can blow stuff up.

2 Likes

The parentheses in a function call have two purposes: they show that it’s a function call and you write the arguments to the function call inside them. There can be 0 or more arguments to a function call, each separated with a comma.

Some example function calls:

doSomething()
    doSomething("aaaaaaa")
    print("test")
    print("test", 1)

Some functions take parameters, which are local variables inside the function that get whatever value is specified by the arguments in the function call. The first parameter gets the value of the first argument, the second parameter gets the second argument, etc. Function definitions also have parentheses, inside which the parameter list is written. The parameter list can have 0 or more comma-separated parameters, each of which is just any valid variable name.

Example functions:

function doSomething(parameter1)
    print("I got " .. tostring(parameter1))
end

function isEven(number)
    return number % 2 == 0
end

function biggestNumber(number1, number2)
    if number1 > number2 then
        return number1
    else
        return number2
    end
end

The names of the parameters in the function definition are only visible and only used inside the function definition. That means the code that calls the function doesn’t need to know or worry about them.

If you want to figure out what the different parameters are to a function, you have two options: either look at the source code of the function to figure out what it does, or look at the documentation for the specific function. All the functions that are built into Roblox are fairly well documented on the wiki. E.g. if you want to know how to call the method (a type of function) Humanoid:MoveTo, you search on the wiki and find this page: Humanoid | Roblox Creator Documentation

First there’s a description of what the function does, then a list of parameters so you know what to put in the parentheses of the function call.

2 Likes