Personality rework

Sorry for late update hehe (Im still dealing with procrastination) but I think it would be good if I do add some extra things:

I guess it is time to accept myself. Even if it could be stressing sometimes, or that I havent got enough motivation, game development is AWESOME.

I firstly thought in quitting, but over time studio grew up on me.

:alien: frr i cant :person_in_motorized_wheelchair: stop doing new scribbles :japanese_goblin:

btw I didnt expect this to get any popular

See ya!

9 Likes

Do it practically(experimenting) and try fun things. Set some own goals and hopefully itā€™s realistic!

5 Likes

The Best way to entertain yourself with Code, is to Play around with it, see what you can make with what you know and what you will learn

This was something I did back in 2017 - 2018 and i still do it today : /

Documentation Page Is Useful for finding out what some basic things do, but it can also show more advanced topicā€™s

The Language Roblox Uses:

Basic Language Info:

local Variable -- Variable (A Value you can change or Assign)

Integer = 1 -- Integer ( A Whole Number )

Float = 1.0 -- Float (Floating Point Numbers (A Decimal Number))

Boolean = true -- Boolean ( true or false )

NoValue = nil -- nil ( No Value )

if Boolean then -- if statement (Fires when a condition is met)
elseif not Boolean then -- elseif statement (Fires if another Condition is met)
else -- else (Fires if no condition is met)
end -- end ( Ends the block of code )
4 Likes

Script builders used to be fun and is how I learned how to script. But, itā€™s hard to actually find a serious one without having to join a communityā€¦ The pros with a script builder is that you instantly see what you have done and you also get ideas from what others have done. Giving you the opportunity to ask them for help.

You should learn the plain bread and butter of Lua then go on to Luau as Luau is more like putting definition for args and variables but just like Lua.

I would learn the plain bread and butter of Lua.

:warning: This code does not work.

Variable = nil -- Variable's are stored in ram and is used to define some number, boolean, nil, float or integer. Typing in the variable's name will return the number, boolean, nil, float or integer that you defined the variable to.

local -- When defining a variable, most programmer's use. getfenv can't return local defined variable's because getfenv only return's 

--number class:

Integer = 21 -- Is a number without any decimal's

Float = 50 -- Is a number with decimal's

-- Misc:

String = "Hello world! 67 is the max number that you can have!" -- A line of text using unicode

Boolean = true or false -- true is defined as something that is a yes false is defined that something is a no

Nil = nil -- Defined as nothing.

-- statements:

if Integer == 21 then -- When a condition is met, the code inside of the if statement run's

elseif -- If the condition is not met but the elseif condition is met then it run's the code inside of the elseif statement. Only can be else in a if statement

else -- If the condition is not met then run the code inside of the else statement. Only can be else in a if statement

end -- End's a statement

function namehere(argnamehere) --Run's a block of code inside of the function statement when called. I won't explain args here.

This should a good start. Then use tutorialā€™s to help you build on with your scripting skill.

1 Like

If you know anyone who does programming, then maybe just have fun with them in studio, experiment and let them share their knowledge with you and create cool projects together. This is personally what I think would be a fun way, but everyone is different.

Best way to learn is to go hands on and just mess around in studio. With the help of youtubers like AlvinBlox, GnomeCode, TheDevKing, SmartyRBX

3 Likes

I would rely less on YouTube tutorials because those videos can get outdated pretty quickly and wonā€™t teach you the newer and better ways of doing things

1 Like

Lua is considered to be one of the most underrated languages. If you have learned python, javascript, or C (++ or #) then it should be very easy to learn.

By default, Lua has only 20 keywords, meaning that you donā€™t have to memorize very many commands. Roblox, however, has many more things to memorize.

Lua, javascript, and python are probably the most intuitive languages you will find, and Lua is probably my favorite language I have learned.

On the learning side, I would advise against word-by-word tutorials that donā€™t actually explain why the scripts work. I have found that those tutorials make me very dependent on tutorials, and you will learn better by watching a couple of tutorials, reading the docs, and then trying to learn how the scripts work.

Experimenting is your best bet when it comes to truly understanding the language and being a professional!

Good luck!

1 Like

My two cents.

LuaByExample is a lightweight reference guide. Self-hostable, too.

Just practice a lot!

Personally, I found Peasfactoryā€™s scripting series most helpful. But always spend more time to just play around & do whatever you find is fun.

For every 1 minute you spend watching tutorials; spend 10 minutes to play around with whatever you learned. It might be different from person to person on how much they may enjoy scripting but just try your best to stay consistent & give yourself challenges.

More time on studio = More experience = Better scripter. Good luck on your journey! :+1:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not necessarily studying.
Hey, if youā€™re like me and hate studying, try the exploring route.
Go into toolbox, find random stuff with scripts like ā€œChat Command Adminā€ and examine the script, learn the key component.

Ever feel like quitting? Same here, but I havenā€™t quit. I start making tiny projects. Each project gets better, small or significantly.
Hereā€™s an example of my latest project:

7 Likes