How do I make a good map for my game?

I am attempting to achieve a good map for my shooter game, and I want the map to have places where people can hide. I also want my map to be spaced out, but not huge. Although I’m not sure where to start. My game takes place in a desert

4 Likes

Much of the final design will depend on the aesthetic you’re going for. Will there be buildings, or will it be desert rock structures (cliffs, boulders, etc.)? Are the areas going to feel tight and packed, or is it going to be open and spacious? Will it be well-lit and sunny, or possibly dark and a bit dusty?

I recommend looking for a few idea references, and sketching out the layout. Sketch several layouts if you need to, to get a feel for what you’re working with. Don’t worry about detail too much when you first start building, and focus on the larger shapes and structures. Chunk the area into different sections if you need to, and take your time with it.

3 Likes

the desert will have vegetation like cactus or stuff, and I’m planning to add buildings. It is also always daytime, and there is just going to be hills

I do not know how to draw so I usually just make a random map and change stuff if I don’t like it, although I will use reference images

2 Likes

When I played Call of Duty MW3 way back in the day, I noted that the best maps had no dead ends. There were places to hide, but you always had 2 ways (at least) to get to your spot. So that way you always had to watch. And the maps had to be a medium size to move to any point within 30 seconds.

4 Likes

It sounds very nice! although I would like to provide a bit of context for what I said- I didn’t mean to actually draw out the whole map. I meant sketching out a top-down view of just where the buildings and other structures would be to help with the building process. Something like this:

However, you do whatever you find to be the most helpful. I think you’ve got a great concept going here, and I wish you luck :]

2 Likes

ok I decided that my map will be rusty town
I only have repair station done since I’m working on other features

1 Like

You’ll have to iterate a lot. Consider greyboxing first:

what is gray boxing and how do I use it and what for

Grey boxing allows you to create/get a feel of a layout before doing the decorations. This helps you create lanes between objectives, spawns and help create line of sights, choke points, etc. Basically everything you’ll need for an FPS map. This article by trustmeimrussian is a great way to learn how to utilise grey boxing and a great way of introducing yourself into professional level design. :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah with this method you can test a lot of ideas quickly, and you can rebuild the level right away if you find it faulty.

1 Like

@Musketfall
@TheBrainyAnimator

There isn’t any objective in my game, it’s kind of just an ffa shooter although I’ll add crafting features soon like barb wire, I am not sure where to put the spawns

what do I need to change about this or anything to make it better

2 Likes

It’s hard to know how this map plays without actually playing it.
But a typical pitfall is the scale. And perhaps you could add complexity to the main idea of a central square.
Regarding spawns, do you think random points will be enough? Or maybe opposite spots? IDK.
Good job and keep trying stuff!

2 Likes