How do I make a high-res game icon?

Does a game icon have to be 512 x 512 when uploaded?

8 Likes

No, but it’s usually scaled down. I almost always create it with 1200x1200 dimensions just to have a good quality version of it on hand.

9 Likes

The roblox page game icons are 150x150 but i always keep a 2048x2048 version

5 Likes

Like everyone else is saying, it’s essential for it to be a high resolution so, when it is shrunk, it’ll look nicer. Think of this as you would a discord server icon. You know it’s going to be shrunk down, but you want it as high of a quality as possible so that people will be attracted to it.

On other/future platforms they may appear larger than on the current games page on PC, so I would always upload in the recommended resolution. I think for game icons this is either 512x512 or 1024x1024, it should be mentioned somewhere on the Developer Hub.

3 Likes

https://www.robloxdev.com/articles/Game-Icons-Tips

Icon Size

Game icons must be square with maximum dimensions of 512×512 pixels. Uploaded icons will be scaled down to smaller sizes throughout the Roblox site and app. An example is the Games page which displays icons at 150×150 pixels or smaller.

Some details in an icon may be lost when an icon is scaled down, especially text. We recommend that you preview your icon at smaller sizes like 128×128 and make sure the details remain clear.

Not sure if uploading a larger dimensions of pixels will help make the Text “Sharper”, as I would also like to know this too

Just in case you ask about Thumbnails too

1 Like

I believe the featuring guidelines for XBOX says 1080x1080 for icons

4 Likes

Best way is to crop the icon dimensions onto a thumbnail instead of putting an image in those dimensions.

Quality is usually better that way

Pretty sure all images on Roblox are scaled down to 1024 if they’re over that limit. But it may just be decals.

1 Like

As long as its square it doesn’t matter, the bigger the more high quality its saved but I don’t recommend going over 1200x1200

3 Likes

No, it’ll be scaled down to 512x512, the best way to create a high-resolution game icon is by making it 512x512.

1 Like

I’ve been looking into this and Kyle basically summed up the paragraph I was writing. Just go with the 512x512

Yeah, whenever I make things in photoshop, I normally do a 1920x1080 resolution. Then when I upload images to decals on ROBLOX, I can easily resize them in Studio.

Obviously, if you are resizing something in Studio and it’s a decal, you would use an ImageLabel or if you’re making a button, you would use a ImageButton.

:sunglasses:

Last time I remembered, yes.