How do I make a lighting effect (beam)..?

Ahoy! I am DarkWatery, and I had a question to the community…

Recently, I saw this in one of the creations and I was wondering how did they get the lighting effect/ray.
I tried using beams, but it did not work for me.
I would like to hear from you…your help is greatly appreciated.

I know this is very basic, but this is the only point I am stuck in my build.
Warm regards,
DarkWatery :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply. But I was talking about this, I guess its getting confused with the sun rays, let me edit the post.
I would be glad if you could help me with these…

Those look like multiple cones with different transparency. Roblox doesn’t support volumetric lighting, but you can fake it using semi-transparent parts.

I see. So these aren’t beams, are they?

1 Like

Here’s a small scene I made if 5 mins.

The place has future as its light technology.
The scene is composed of one spotlight pointing downwards, 4 cones with the neon material and a transparency of 0.95. Their size becomes concentrically smaller from 4,10,4 to 3,10,3. The part above is to hide the top.

3 Likes

you can use semi-transparent parts, it works like a sun-ray/light-ray, and it fits really well.

I use this method a lot with my games

10 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the reply! Did you use the cone as a mesh or did you make it using in-studio parts?

A random mesh I found in the library.

Seems I have accomplished it!
Thanks a lot! :smile:

3 Likes

Also, thanks for your help. I will surely use that in my builds.

2 Likes

Also, I found a plugin @nooneisback
https://www.roblox.com/library/2023528531/Beam-Lighting-Creator?Category=Plugins&SortType=Relevance&SortAggregation=AllTime&SearchKeyword=beams&CreatorId=0&Page=1&Position=30&SearchId=f63ee3e0-e340-49f2-9c7d-ac5aff0133d1

Would help you too :smile:

There is a plugin which will do most of it automatically, though with variable results.

I don’t recommend using the plugins for all cases. Extra parts mean extra draw-calls. It’s not an issue with a few hundreds of extra parts, but having 2-3 parts for each light + sun will make that number rise a lot. You should use 2 parts for volumes which cannot be reached with normal means and create a custom mesh for very complex meshes, and completely avoid creating volumes for dim sources.

1 Like

Yes! This is one of a fine additions to plugins…
Thanks once again for your help!
Greatly appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like