How do i make a movement system

I’m just not sure where to start when making a movement system, my primary goal is to overwrite the current Roblox one and make one of my own where i can implement features like running double jumping and if i want advanced features like vaulting etc. My friend who made one from scratch told me to use a bunch of local modules but im not sure what i should do to start it, where i should put the scripts etc

1 Like

Do you want to implement a camera shake and add stuff such as motion blur or change how Roblox players move completely, like changing the input they need to activate to move?

1 Like

in starterplayerscripts make a local script and do all the movement stuff there

1 Like

Not really, i just want to make a custom movement system like a custom walk run dash etc that overides the current roblox system

1 Like

My best guess is to make a module script and do all the stuff there then just reference the functions in local scripts additionaly doing some sanity checks on server. You can take a look inside the default player move script to see how it works and be able to overwrite it.

1 Like

You mean something like this recent announcement? Releasing Character Physics Controllers

1 Like

Start with a single script that does what you require then use software architecture patterns like OOP, ECS, functional programming to organize it as it gets bigger.

State management is also essential so looking into concwpts such as finite state machines to replicate what the humanoid does will help.

I dont really want to anything complicated as all im trying to do is overide the default roblox movement system and make my own walk and run