How do I make player outlines?

So, I’ve been trying to create red player outlines for enemies, similar to Overwatch.

I have tried methods like using SelectionBox but it doesn’t seem to work well with player heads.

My friend also recommended inverting the meshes, the problem is that it seems to be very glitchy. When I get close, some parts of the outlines tend to disappear!! Not sure if it’s a Roblox rendering issue but I’m trying to find a better method.

I’ve seen games like Q-Clash replicate this player outline feature

Can anyone help? Thanks!

3 Likes

Have you tried putting a thin layer of glass around the player? I haven’t personally tried it but it may work.

1 Like

Ok going to try

Edit: The effect isn’t really what I want

1 Like

Perhaps you could use BillBoardGuis? Or maybe even SurfaceGuis, depending on which would render better for you.

The idea I had was like, make thin frames or something in the gui and position them according to each body part. Might take a bit of work to perfect, but it could give you what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Honestly the best choice is just to rely on the possible addition of custom shaders support OR if they add a special outline post-processing effect (sort of like sun-rays). Hopefully one of the two could be added

1 Like

This feature is on Roblox’s radar, but they haven’t brought it up for while so you might just have to stick with the mesh trick for now.

6 Likes

No it’s not. He showed clearly that Q-Clash was capable of it, so he’s looking for how that works. I believe it might actually be the inverted mesh trick (or potentially particles?).

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t read into him referring to Q-Clash, my bad :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way though, still seems like such a hacky way to do it

1 Like

It’s not ideal, but it’s reliable, I’d say. If it works consistently, it works.

3 Likes

Don’t count on it.

4 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t necessarily have high hopes on the custom shader part :joy:

2 Likes

Very late but for users wanting a solution there is a new “Highlight” object which when put into a Model will give it an outline that can even work through walls!

20 Likes