How do i make Roblox GFX?

Hey GFX artists! :wave:
My name is Reis and i want to try learn how to make Roblox GFX and AD GFX, But i don’t know how! Does anyone know a good website to make Roblox GFX on? Here is a example of the type of GFX i want to try make.

Pictures of the type of GFX i want to make and learn. (These are examples, i didnt make these.)

Learning how to make stuff like those would help me so so so much! :smiley:

14 Likes

You should have blender or any other 3D modeling program experience for sure.
Those GFXs aren’t made in studio, meaning there’s a side program.

4 Likes

You should probably download a software called “Blender”.
This tutorial can help Blender Tips and Tricks - Clothing Folds, Materials, Rain, and more!

4 Likes

Please use the search bar as this post has been made way to many times.

4 Likes

Thanks so much! And ill try learn it!

The first and fourth one are drawn by artist and the rest are made through 3D & editing software.
Also you can check for YouTube tutorials on the software you are using. As people mentioned earlier blender is an amazing free software and you’ll need some editing programs too like photoshop, gimp etc to give your render which you make in blender a finishing touch.

2 Likes

By GFX, do you mean 3D rendered designs, or 2D digital drawings? Your first, and fourth example are drawings, and everything else is 3D graphics. Anyways, if you want to make the latter, you first need the required software.

Minimal Software Requirement

– Cinema 4D / Blender. In my opinion, C4D is better for beginners. It also brings better results in terms of rendering, but that depends on an artist of course.

– Photoshop / Gimp / Paint Net. Out of these three, Photoshop is the most versatile. It’s also fairly easy to use, and very powerful. You use it for post-render phase to fix up a lightning and add details.

– Roblox Studio. Not much to explain here. You need it to export models.

– Substance Painter (Optional). This is a program that could help you add and/or rework the textures. It also has a lot of very good textures on Substance Source, but I am not sure if you need a separate subscription for it or not. You can always grab decent free textures from the web, though.

I have this. What should I do next?

– Go to Roblox studio, and put all the characters and models you want to use. Export them one by one into a file. In the end, you should have .obj model files, and .png texture files.

– Go to 3D editing software, and input a character rig.

– Change character texture to your desired one.

– Use the rig to position the character in desired position

– Put all the models and accessories on the character.

– Create environment around the scene. Use different models, and textures.

– Render the scene. Make sure it’s correct resolution. Also, it’s better to render it as alpha channel unless you already added sky enviornment in C4D or Blender.

– Input the file into Photoshop. Adjust brightness, and contrast to your desired levels.

– Work with curves, and adjust the coloring.

– Input background into the scene (unless it’s already done), and adjust it as well.

– Add details, such as scratches, dirt splashes, etc.

– Merge all layers, and adjust the brightness and contrast one last time.

– Save the file as .png or any other desired extension.

– You are done! Congratulations.

8 Likes

I would recommend staying away from both Cinema4D and Substance Painter because of their price tag. There are educational versions available for free, but their terms explicitly state that they can only be used for personal work, meaning that you can’t legally sell work done within the programs or even use it in your Roblox game if you intend on people playing it.

The assertion that renders done in Cinema4D look better than Blender is false as neither of the two rendering engines is superior than the other by merit of their programming. I would even go as far as to suggest that with the advent of Eevee in Blender 2.8, Blender is actually more versatile in this area.

The notion that developers have to have the “industry standard” software for Roblox development is generally grounded in lack of proper research or willingness to pirate software since Roblox’s engine isn’t nearly advanced enough for the gaps between software to make a real impact on the development process other than speed.

3 Likes

@ReisDiggerboy1st
Hi! I think you are quite new in designing graphics! I looked at GFXs that you want to learn how to make. Here are some of my feedback & recommendations:
-| I believe that the first one and the Echelon Hotels ad are custom drawn. I am afraid that unless you have good drawing skills, you won’t be able to make that out of software itself.
-| If you are a beginner, I would personally recommend you practicing in smaller and free applications, such as Gimp, FireAlpaca and Paint.Net, and then go for more of an advanced programs like Photoshop and Illustrator.
-| If you’d like to do 3D characters, I would personally use Blender or Maya. It’s really useful for putting in details!
So that’s it! Hope my feedback made an impact on you! :grin:

1 Like

I would use roblox studio for the characters and if you don’t want to spend money on a good picture editor a good free one is Photo Editor Pixlr Free Advanced Photoshop & Image Editing Tool hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey! I recommend trying using Cinema 4D and Photoshop, searching tutorials for them on YouTube. If you need any help, feel free to hit me up! ImDylan#6019

2 Likes

Hi! I have been a graphic designer for quite some time and I feel like I can give you some information.

To start, I recommend downloading programs like Blender or Cinema 4D for your renders, and Photoshop to create the GFX. Secondly, you should join some Roblox GFX Discords. These servers have a lot of valuable things, such as free renders, free lightrooms, free particles, effects, etc. You can also hear advice from other people! You should watch tutorials or find someone that is willing to get you started. If you can’t get Photoshop, there are tons of free alternatives, just do some research!

Summary:
Get Blender/Cinema 4D
Get Photoshop/Alternative
Watch tutorials / videos of people designing on YouTube
Join GFX Discords
Practice

2 Likes

I use Pixlr Editor too!

Hi @ReisDiggerboy1st To make GFX you will need
–Roblox Studio
-3D modeling Software
-A editing picture Editing Software