How do I start making music

Recently, I’ve seen so many people with awesome music they created. I kind of wanted to start created music too, but I can’t find anywhere to start. Can you guys give some ideas on where I should start?

4 Likes

I’d recommend using bandlabs. I haven’t been creating music for too long, so that’s the only downloadable, free music synthesizer program that I know is really good. It’s best to download the program right from the bandlabs website. If you’re trying to record yourself playing instruments, bandlabs can do that too. You’ll have to buy a microphone and get that connected to your computer.

2 Likes

This more or less depends on the type of music you want to make I suppose.

(I would recommend to skip to the second portion of the reply if you’re not trying to learn traditional music writing)

You might want to take my words with a grain of salt, since I usually just write different arrangements of existing music, but for me personally, if you’re trying to write music more ‘traditionally’, I would recommend to learn the very basics of music theory (know your notes, basic scales (Bb, Ab Eb), understand your basic chords, key signatures, time signatures, that kind of thing). Knowing these will allow anyone to get a start on writing music in this way.
After getting the basics down, you’d need to find a suitable program to write down your music. I personally use Noteflight which is in a website format, though something like Musescore would likely be more useful for most people (I just use Noteflight since I got used to it). Both of these programs are free to use/ download, so I highly recommend the two.
Lastly, you can begin experimenting with different chord progressions and rhythms. There really aren’t any rules here, since music can be interpreted and expressed in countless different ways.
One thing to note is that if you have zero experience with different instruments or how they sound, I would recommend to experiment with different horns, strings, keyboards and percussion, seeing how they sound and feel. But, depending on what you’re trying to make, there may be an emphasis on woodwind instruments, brass instruments, percussion, that sort of thing. It’s difficult for me to explain since I’m no professional myself, but keep on experimenting and making different tunes, and you’ll get somewhere with a particular piece.

Now, if you’re trying to make music more ‘unconventionally’ (which is an ironic term considering most music nowadays is produced in this manner), for someone who is just starting out, I would recommend the Soundtrap Studio website. It is for me far more user-friendly than other programs (although I also haven’t used other programs much at all). Music made in this manner is produced by placing different loops, beats, samples, and vocals in a linear chart, which makes it tremendously easier to make a feasible beat. Additionally, you can use the provided sound library to put in existing samples, so that you don’t have to make them yourself. It is really easy to get used to, and you can actually make some pretty nice tunes quickly and easily. It of course has its own limitations, but for a beginner, it serves its deed well.
One thing I would say is to just leave the key signature setting blank, unless you have a specific key you want your song to be in (which can be disregarded if you want to simplify things down the road).
Just continue experimenting with different samples and beats, and you’ll surely get a nice tune from Soundtrap.

I hope my reply helped you at least a little bit, and I wish you a great day/ night.

3 Likes

When i first had this question in my head, i was pointed to https://lmms.io/ while it takes a while to pick up, there is a lot of helpfull stuff out there and i found it very very usefull :). good luck :slight_smile: maybe try several methods/apps until you find the one that you like best. All personal preference :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome to try out our Audioscape app, which creates copyright-clean music for Roblox games. You might enjoy our editing features which let you sculpt the music tracks to your liking, without needing to know music theory.

Signup here, and see our post to Creator Resources.