How do I use Terrain Heightmaps?

I know this may sound silly, but I cannot, for the life of me; figure out how to implement height-maps into studio the CORRECT way!

What the Heightmap UI looks like for me:

Error when Uploading Decal:

Is there a tutorial out there for this? MANY times, I’ve seen people be able to click a [+] button, and upload images from their desktop, similarly to ImageLabels, etc. My studio doesn’t seem to work that way…

Any links to tutorials, or more information, would be appreciated!
-Ceno

2 Likes

NOTE:

The asset url incorrect, says the same thing, with the ID, and the entire url link itself… Either way it will not upload.

Read this, it’s the official DevForum, you should get an answer from there: (Smooth Terrain Heightmap/Colormap Importer Release!)

It doesnt work for me… If you read what I posted, you would see that I already said it… I have tried in a published game, rejoining, etc… And It wont work regardless.

1 Like

Spot the difference…

THE ROBLOX TUTORIAL

K4blFQ4tO7NdCbVlL4Mt2QRvg-GRHJlGZLJIjj7LgQc3kjeMJFnl1sWjy4vGWWbhZQ3VhwEqUE1pKvVKBCH-Hoz8V1DaHERiiByYLb1dRJ1QepNDijA3ukDDqld6mv1GAphspU9Y

MY STUDIO

“I’ve seen people be able to click a [+] button, and upload images from their desktop, similarly to ImageLabels, etc. My studio doesn’t seem to work that way…” - Already posted this…

I don’t know what the issue is, but I cannot select images, nor upload any to the importer…

1 Like

Hi @Cenosity - we recently pushed an update to the Importer that requires images to go through moderation before they can be used (details here: Smooth Terrain Heightmap/Colormap Importer Release! - #194 by GeneralRelish). I.e. you can no longer upload an image from your Desktop to use with the importer. When you see this workflow, it is likely from devs using the previous version.

To use the importer now, you will need to publish you place, then go to the Game Explorer where you can upload images. Clicking on the Heightmap/Colormap Asset ID fields will then give you a list of available images (as shown below) - you shouldn’t need to copy/paste URLs.

6 Likes

@Cenosity here you can see a tutorial about how to use with that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPF0G9gfoQ

2 Likes

Hi all,
Apologies for the confusion. The official tutorial on this topic is here (I helped write it :wink: ):

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/articles/importing-terrain-data

IgnisRBX

4 Likes