How do you beat up game triangles?

Hello,
recently I created cool gun model for my FPS game that I am working on, but I have a problem. When I tried to upload this model to Roblox studio it said “Limit triangles are 10000. Your mesh has 49859 triangles”. Could anyone tell me what to do to upload this model?

I’ll be happy for every reply.

Note: I am too lazy to place it part by part

1 Like

You can’t use certain high-poly models in Roblox because of the triangle limit.

1 Like

You could use a decimate modifier to reduce the tris that may help, You could also split the gun up into parts imported separately.

Look at the new beta mesh importer for studio it allows 20k tris limit and other useful features.

2 Likes

Select all the vertices, press x, then click on limited dissolve. This will remove “unnecessary” vertices.

2 Likes

First thing I recommend is separating the model by material (if you have more than 1) and by loose parts.

Second, if you have a subdivision modifier, turn the resolution down to no more than 1 or 2. If you accepted this already, under Edit > Edges, try unsubdividing.

As a last resort, reduce the individual meshes further with Decimate… but really… don’t bother. Keep reading.

Finally, upload the mesh with the new mesh importer. The new limit is 20K, not 10K. It has built in decimate, and will do that “last resort” step for you.

2 Likes

More advanced trick: Bake the high poly gun onto a low poly gun. The normal maps will make it look like the low gun is high poly.

2 Likes

Hello,
first of all, thank you a lot for you reply! I don’t know why but I recently updated my roblox studio and my version is still 0.508.0.5080185, so I think that plugin won’t work for me. :laughing:

Sincerely,
Imagine

Thats weird! Keep a lookout for this icon, and I would report it. This version is so good!

I see what you’re saying here as an easier solution, but personally I’d trust Blender’s Decimate algorithm before Studio’s auto decimate-on-import. I can at least see what the dedicated modelling software does, and make fixes before importing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello again,
got it, it was hiding from me.

Thanks.

I call it a last resort because at 50k triangles for a single mesh, subdivisions were made. Getting under 20k should be a cinch. Low poly modelling is definitely a learned skill.

Everything worked perfectly, thank you all for the answers.

Have a nice rest of the night / day.