How do you create animation rigs?

So I have been reading up a lot about animations and there are so many places to start that I don’t even know where to begin. I see mention of different types of things you need and frankly there is no actual good tutorial that explains how to set up an animation rig - I don’t even know how to create a motor6d, and there are not really any good tutorials to do so. Roblox recently announced updates to the animation editor but they don’t really explain how to use it.

If someone has the time I would really appreciate a detailed explanation of how the heck all this stuff works.

I have experience creating animations for the roblox avatar - that is not a problem, I want to create custom animations for objects.

What I am planning to do with animations is to create atmospheric buildings that have moving parts; for example, I would like to make a radar dish that rotates side to side, using a roblox animation. I know I can use constraints/scripts for this however I would prefer to use animations if that is possible.

1 Like

Hi @Xelia4!
You can first download the plugin I have made.
Download it by clicking the link below:
Motor6D.rbxm (7 KB)

How to make the plugin run:

1. Open the file by Roblox Studio
  2. After you have put into Studio, right-click on the folder in the Explorer window
  3. Choose Save as Local Plugin... from the dropdown list
  4. Type a name that you prefer and make sure that it is saved as a .rbxmx file, else it won’t work.
  5. Hit Save
  6. A new button should appear when you go to the Plugins tab. It looks like this:
    Post1

How to use the Plugin(add Motor6Ds to parts):

1. Click on the Open button shown above. A GUI should pop up like this:
    Post2
  2. Select one of the BaseParts you would like to join with Motor6D and click Done
  3. Repeat Step 2 for the other part
  4. You should see the hint Choose the centre part:.
  • If you open the Animation Editor with a rig, there are arrows and sphere which helps you to work with animations.
  • The centre part indicates where the arrows or spheres located at relative to the position of both parts
  1. Click Done and hey, a wild Motor6D appeared in the Part0 !

Repeat the steps above to connect all BaseParts of the model to one part.
Keep in mind that there are requirements to use the model for creating animations. Let me tell you what are they:

• All connected parts should be located inside a Model.
  • A BasePart named HumanoidRootPart is present in the model. The model doesn’t need a human-look
  • The BasePart is the PrimaryPart of the model.
  • All moving parts should be connected to the HumanoidRootPart by Motor6Ds.
    I recommend to connect all parts to prevent failure.
  • A Humanoid is present in the model when editing with Animation Editor.
    You can delete it after finish using the Animation Editor. I will tell you later how to play the animation in-game.

For information on how to use the Animation Editor, please visit here.
How to play the animation:

1. Find your animation and copy the Id from roblox.com.
  2. Create a AnimationController directly inside the Model because it is not a human rig. Click here for more information on how to use AnimationController.

I hope you could understand my long piece of text. Ask me if you have further questions. :smile:

4 Likes

You can refer to this post and scroll down to my post. I gave a detailed explanation on how to create animation rigs

I want to thank you for your amazing reply and I will get back to you with my feedback once I get an opportunity to try this.

Thanks!