How i can make a house placement system?

So, my first goal at joining at Roblox was make a Basic House System, where you can place stuff and save them. Well, my question is, how i do it? I already saw threads and youtube videos, but they were kinda uncompleted, for me, trying to get multiple stuff and combine them into one is hard, so now, when i can talk about this, how i can create this system?

2 Likes

There are many ways to create house placement systems and would say there is no definite way to make one, the question how do you want it. There are house building systems like Bloxburg where you can build an entire house or a Building systems like MeepCity where you have a base house that you can build around. Normally the first thing you need to do is to make the actual placement system and that’s where you have to figure out how you want to make it, This is where building systems can be super simple or super complex.

How do you make one?

well as mentioned above their are many ways, however the general idea of using Mouse.Hit and cloning an object when the a player clicks a button or there mouse is a commonality. i personally categorize building systems as: (just a couple examples)

Free Placement :
just simply a building system where you can place anywhere, not specifically grid locked

Grid Locked:
These are placement systems i like to classify as being or can be locked to a grid, while still having many “freedoms” a building system somewhat similar the one in ThemePark Tycoon

Preset-Based:
This is a name i use for building systems that provide a house or buildings or anything like that and you build and manipulate things around it. Often more than likely furniture based.

How do you save stuff?

Well, the simpe answer is save what you should, like CFrames, colors (or even an numerical index to represent a value in a table of colors). Often you might possibly run into data store limits if you fail to save responsibly.

Here is a post i made pertaining to this question:

To be honest you are going to have to piece things together if you are seeking what you want out of a placement system, i would just follow tutorials on these types of topics and then slowly merge things together. Re-read them to get a good understand, because without that it becomes harder to piece things together.

Lastly If you haven’t read this yet, i would suggest doing so, it’s a great read:

7 Likes

Well, as i said, i already saw threads and youtube videos, i already read EgoMoose’s Placement System, and i didn’t understand very good.

About saving parts, i also didn’t understand, since about DataStores, i’m new, and manage those stuff is kinda hard for me. I hope you respond :+1:

1 Like

Ok, so my question is what type of building system do you want to make how do you want it to function?

1 Like

Something like a basic placement system, where you can place furnitures which are saved as stocks (For example: x2 Wooden Table / x1 Chair), well, i want something basic. Not very advanced and that stuff. I just want something basic, that might help me alot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i can’t create a fully fledged tutorial or anything on this at the moment, but just you can do this!, just keep looking around for resources, take it slow, research the math and logic behind making something where you can place things. Once you create the actual placement system things usually go much faster.

if you want to you check out this placement system i made a while back, it’s a bit unorganized and has possibly"bad" methods, to be honest it’s a little poorly written, but it might give you somewhere to start:

if you use this as a resource i would recommend re-writing it using better methods, also to mention this doesn’t do any type of saving

Feel free to message me at some point! When i have more time i might be able to give a more in-def answer on this subject

2 Likes

This is very helpful! I might use it for my game. Well, i just found an error! (I can use tildas by any reason)
10:33:11.845 - ReplicatedStorage.FreePlacement:399: attempt to index field ‘PrimaryPart’ (a nil value)
10:33:11.849 - Stack Begin
10:33:11.853 - Script ‘ReplicatedStorage.FreePlacement’, Line 399
10:33:11.855 - Stack End

I already set PrimaryParts to the models, but this error is still spamming, that’s caused when you are building a chair for example, and you change to the another furniture.