How large should your map be?

I mainly build cities, and with my techinique, ive never really experianced lag with my builds, however. I do agree that shoving a bunch of parts into one area will cause mass lag.

1 Like

Very beautiful works on that building, maybe I could learn from you some time.

all parts right?

For a open world game, it would depend on what you want to be in it. You donā€™t want to make it too big with empty space. I tried to make a giant map with terrain, but when I hit the play button to test the game, they game would freeze. Not let it load and not able for me to exit out. It crashed my browser I had open and couldnā€™t display task manager. I learned my lesson from that. I good side I believe is a 4 x 4 or 2 x 2 of the roblox default baseplate. To help you can make a union of the baseplates or get a mesh that can be stretched out. I suggest that you make tiles, just as 1 baseplate is 1 tile. When you would make small buildings or cover 1 tile with what you want and expand as you add more items. And if the game gets really big, terrain can cause more lag then parts.

1 Like

I plan to us terrain, and keep it around 3-4 time the baseplate size, but I wont make it flat like a baseplate, that would not be fun, I can also make almost everything into a union of their own and maybe some meshes.

1 Like

Depends on the players perspective or the game genre if your goal is free roam world then depends on your perspective on the world you will create.

For an open-world game, one baseplate is rather small. Iā€™d say an open-world game should be like 10x10 baseplates probably, depending on whether or not they are going to add multiple sections/games. 1 baseplate just seems a little small :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thats not a bad Idea! Doesnā€™t look as smooth, but who cares when you dont lag?