How should I represent fall damage in this 2D game?

I am making a game similar to 2D Worms games.

If you are not aware of the franchise, when the character falls from a high structure, it starts falling with the following animation:
imagem
The character falls like this for a while. When the fall is too big, it starts spinning. Upon landing with this last animation, the character’s head gets burried and then it recovers and takes some damage, ending the turn.

I am trying to make something similar.
I already got the regular jumping and such right, however, I have no clue as to what to do for the fall. I want it to be clear, that the character took damage.

Some possibilities, such as ragdolling, happen to also affect te gameplay, as the character would slide for a bit and then recover. Note that, on knockback from weapons and such, I am thinking of using ragdolling, though I can accept more ideas.

So, what should I do? All suggestions are welcome!

1 Like

How about the guy’s body gets somewhat (visibly) stuck into the ground and the head and arms ragdoll?

1 Like

Could you elaborate?

For example, do you mean like dug into? Or just having the surfaces (torso and terrain) together?
Also what would happen during the fall? Would something be different? Any sort of transition?

You could widen the camera field of view when the y distance since the Humanoid switched to falling is greater than the min height for damage. You could also use an effect like this:

(using a triangle image and some code)

You could also have a recovery animation and some screen shake.

Oh, I haven’t thought of this! Thanks for the suggestion!
Would there be no extra falling animation then?

Like the force of the fall caused his legs to get pushed into the ground.

So, basically, burry the legs?

1 Like