How to achieve a "retro", pixelated visual effect

I don’t know if roblox has changed how view ports work, but it appears that if you want pixelation from the Viewport frames, you will have to accept a lot of blur.

But not to worry! I found an alternative way to pixelate your screen:

9 Likes

I want to make a pixelated full-screen isometric-style game, so I decided to use this and so far, it doesn’t pixelated because it doesn’t seem to actually be getting set to the camera’s position

So I tried putting the SurfaceGui in the StarterGui while having the adornee set to the part. No luck.

Can you help?
Thanks.

note: I tried the method mentioned above, but I wanted a full screen pixelation.

Edit: fixed now

1 Like

I have now uncopylocked Retro Fights on the Heights! Although some elements were broken due to updates, the effect still works. If you use this, credit is appreciated, but not needed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How did you get pixelation effect?.. its blrury for me.

If you are using viewport frames for this effect, you will get blur as I mentioned here. This pixelation effect that I showed uses raytracing with a lot of frames as pixels.

Wait so you need a rtx card for this to work?

No. Currently the roblox engine doesn’t allow you to access the GPU for scripts. This is all CPU processing in a local script in a GUI

1 Like

I been trying to get something like this for awhile how do i get it to work?

Read the thread about the Pixelator that I provied. It should tell you all about it

Do you think you can make the place downloadable for one second so i can get it?

If not it’s fine

You can already access the place. It’s uncopylocked

What is it? Can you provide the link?

look on the thread that I have provided. Everything about it is there

Lol okay sorry for wasting your time

1 Like

If only roblox made their own pixel processing effect :confused:

3 Likes

Its good but it causes lag which is why roblox need to create their own lol

1 Like

You mean we can make retro Roblox games I mean come on man lets appreciate the classics the tech keeps evolving and pepole don’t care about classics

@89five can you please make a place with just the viewport gui so people can use the pixel effect doesn’t work cause there is other parts in the script that aren’t in games when you copy and paste it into your game maybe like a horror ps1 style.

It’s very limiting for me as a Roblox Developer because I cannot get this effect without 1 FPS. I really hope ROBLOX adds something like this were you can lower game resolution maybe in Lighting or Game Settings.

7 Likes

could you tell me exactly what you did? Im also struggling alot

1 Like