How to achieve this dashing effect

how can I achieve this effect like I know its made by using glass but how? like where do I put this glass parts or what are the properties of the glass part to make this effect

https://twitter.com/i/status/1113880612375425024

6 Likes

Ah, DahNoobidiah’s work. I really like the kinds of concepts they’ve made on Roblox.

For works like this where something might seem really obscure, you’ll want to download the video and break it into frames so you can really analyse what’s going on. Here’s a good frame from the video during the dash effect that you can check out:

Thanks Twitter compression, really making the quality bad out here.

Overall it seems really clever. I won’t talk as if I know completely how it was done, but it looks like there’s three parts involved in creating this effect:

• An afterimage which clones the basic parts of the rig (Head, Torso, Arms and Legs) with a glass material that fades very quickly.

• A lot of thin glass parts that as the player moves are stretched from the afterimage to slightly overextending the character. The position, size and rotation are adjusted accordingly so these thin prisms come from the afterimage to meet the character.

• A hollow circle which spawns a bit in front of the afterimage and fades outwards.

It’s a really pleasant effect that takes advantage of the way graphics work to get the effect done. Wouldn’t hold too much weight on my opinion though, especially for the pines: if they were glass then they should blending with the afterimage but they aren’t quite doing that. Could be beams.

Here are two other posts you can reference as well:

5 Likes

I tried it with bunch of glass parts without scripting it but it didn’t look like its blurred

Oh, I guess I was right on the money then, looks close to how the original is being done. My main concern about the glass parts is the way they get rendered, which is that other glass parts do not show up through each other which may look odd visually for this.

Thank you for taking the time to repro the dash effect and show how it looks in Studio! I actually did not do this myself so it helps to have an on-hand reference of how it may look if you stitch together some glass on top of a character model that’s also glass.

In that case, using this method, it might be simple to achieve the dash effect. Roughly speaking, the steps I mentioned earlier would apply:

• Glass character that slowly fades out immediately after spawning.

• Cone or other hollow mesh that moves out (or back, depending on your preferences).

• Glass pines that take the transparency of the character. Every frame, their size is updated to slightly extend in front of the character. To accommodate for potential rotations, the orientation of the pines is updated such that the start position of the pines is the afterimage character and the end position is pointed towards the character.

:flushed:

4 Likes