How to add chat tags for the new Roblox text chat service

Thanks! I noticed the issue :sweat_smile:
In your server script “Vip chat tag” you need to set line 12 to:

newPlayer:SetAttribute("isVIP", ownsGamepass)

the capital letters were off! The local script was looking for isVIP instead of isVip.

Thank you so much for me, also how can I change the color of the VIP text. I have to get off for the day but can we do that tomorrow? (And can I give you a shout out on my Dizzy code server for helping me?)

You can change the color by updating the VIPNames local script. Just change line 12:

-- #F5CD30 is yellow, but you can replace it with any other color
props.PrefixText = "<font color='#F5CD30'>[VIP]</font> " .. message.PrefixText

Searching #F5CD30 on google (with the #) will give a color picker that you can use to replace with a different color.

Sure, lol I’ll take all the credit I can get :grin:

3 Likes

And if I need any other help I know that you can help me and thank you sooo much for helping me

1 Like

The color change did not work but If you are on tomorrow we can work on it then bye (for now)

1 Like

Hey, is this a permanent solution? Is any player able to change their tag to whatever they want? The old method had us doing this from the server side, but now we’re doing this from the client. Is a player able to just set a custom tag to whatever they want?

Not much has changed here in regards to server-client authority compared to the old lua chat system. In the old lua chat system, there was always a step where the receiving client has full authority of what is rendered on the screen.

In the current TextChatService system, sending clients are not offering how their text appears, rather the receiving client is observing the game state (usually from the server, but doesnt have to be) and rendering the messages appropriately on their screen.
Players are not able to set their custom tags to whatever they want when sending messages to players, but hypothetically have full control of what is rendered on their screen when receiving messages from players, like always.

1 Like

Hi Would it appear for all players? if not how can I make it so it appears for all player since OnInComingMessages only works in client.

Yes, it wall appear for all players

It will appear for all players who end up defining an OnIncomingMessage callback. It’s up to you if you would like all players to define this callback the same way or if you’d like some players to define this callback differently than others.

It’s not working now, could you help me plz?