How to build a glass dome\archway?

Title is pretty self-explainatory. I’m trying to recreate something like this:

This is what I made so far:

It might look “”“good”"" from afar, but upclose there is an obvious problem:

The way each panel connects to the next in the curved section is uneven and I’m not sure on how to fix it.
If necessary I can include the .rbxl file.
Is there a better way to build it? In blender as well?

3 Likes

If you’re not already using Blender you should probably get it, I use it all the time and I’ll say it’s one of the best 3D modeling sites out there. You will absolutely get cleaner angles on your models and there is a variety of different tools to use. It might take a while to learn but in the long run it is for sure worth it.

Yeah I’m aware :\ I tried recreating it in Blender but my skills are very limited atm.

Well then I think the best thing you can do is take time to practice more on blender.

Without learning blender, another option might be to use something like the GapFill plugin like shown here.

Smart, it looks like it works pretty good.

Your alignment is way way off.

Look at this, the intersections of the blue lines is roughly where your vertical connections should be relative to the upper most ring

You can do what you are trying to achieve in roblox with base parts, but it’s difficult to do well. Even harder to do it consistently for a whole build. You will end up working with very small move and rotate increments. Eventually you will run into rounding errors, and by the end it will still look a bit odd and misshaped, but if you want to give it a shot, go ahead. It’s good to have experience with such work either way.

I’ve tried and even with keeping everything consistent and strictly aligned, at some point stuff just would not align as it should. This effect grows orders of magnitudes if you have non 90 degree rotations and you keep building on existing geometry. Hiding these sort of misalignments is possible but is an ugly way of handling it and makes it hard to modify the build in the future.

As @leg0ed recommended, you should definitely use Blender for this type of work.
It’s easier to get such curved geometry by being able to modify individual verticies.

Blender also has modifiers that would help you achieve this, namely, wireframe and skin modifier

You can create small segments of the build, export them into roblox and re-use them multiple times in your build.

You should definitely at least try learning to use blender, it will really be helpful for you in the long run.

I hope this helped. Good luck.

1 Like

If you don’t want to learn Blender you could use a Plugin like Studio Build Suite.
With it you can have a Pivot Part at the center of a curve or circle and select all the parts (like the Parts in one of your rib structures) and then click the pivot part you want it to circle.
You can then choose all the horizontal beam sections in a ring and resize each one to perfectly match up with the next one.

1 Like