[OUTDATED]How To Convert Unions Into Meshes

Why You Should Convert Unions Into Meshes
There are two big reasons, to prevent corruption, and to lower lag. CSG V2 has a major problem with unions corrupting, which can lead to hours of work lost. Meshes cannot corrupt, and therefor are much more reliable. Meshes also tend to be better on performance for players.

Before You Should Begin
Make sure you have:

• ROBLOX Studio

• Blender

• A good place to store files temporarily

The Tutorial
First off, create the union you want to convert. For this tutorial, I simply will just union two parts together, but the union can be as complicated as you want (However, you may need to do it in pieces if it has a high triangle count later). Note that you cannot union meshes, so only convert finished products.

Now, go over the explorer tab (Open it if you need to in the View tab), and right click the union. At the bottom, there should be a button called “Export Selection”.

Click the button, and save it as whatever you want, in an easily accessible place. You will need this in a second. Once you have saved it, install/open Blender. Blender can be installed on the web, or in Steam.

Once you open up Blender, you will be greeted by this page. Click General, and look to the right of your screen. On the right, select “Cube”, right click it and delete. Now, navigate over to the top left and click File > Import > Wavefront (.obj).

Find the union you saved earlier and select *both the .obj and the .mtl of the union (They should both be named the same thing).

Click import. You may not see them and that is okay, we do not need to see them. After you have done this, head back to the right and check to see if you successfully imported it.

Now, head over to File > Export > FBX (.fbx), and export it to an accessible location on your computer. Once you have done this, open back up Studio and insert a MeshPart by pressing CTRL+I (CMD+I for Mac Users). Use the menu that popped up to insert a MeshPart. Now click on the mesh part, and in properties, click on MeshId and import the mesh using the small yellow folder button.

If you imported it correctly, it should appear somewhere in your game. Find it, and check that it looks good. Important note: If ROBLOX gave you an error that said it exceeded the triangle limit, you will need to split up the union into multiple pieces and then follow this tutorial.

Finally, copy the location of the original union, and delete it. Paste the location into the mesh, and fix the color and material, and anchor it if you need to.

Common Questions/Problems
Q: ROBLOX gave me an error that said there were too many triangles
A: Split the union into multiple pieces and try the process again

Q: What do I do with the leftover files on my computer?
A: You can delete them if you want, you do not need them

Thank you for reading, and feel free to ask me questions in the replies below.

34 Likes

If you don’t lower the trianglecount, there is no difference in performance, so it won’t lower lag at all

5 Likes

you don’t need blender for this, click export selection on the union, add a meshpart and click the file button for meshid (find the obj file you exported) and then you just got it way quicker, your way dosen’t prevent lag as you don’t lower the triangle count, so why go through the effort of exporting and re-importing from blender

22 Likes

One other reason to convert unions to meshes is that unions can only scale proportionally (if you make it bigger, all three dimensions will increase) but meshes can be scaled individually.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if this is still true since it was discussed at RDC 2018 but zeuxcg did say that meshes run faster than CSG parts. If this statement still holds up in 2020 then there’s at least SOME performance benefit from converting your unions to meshes.

Timestamped where he said it.

3 Likes

if your union is large and it says “your mesh is very large, would you like to resize?” then if u click no, it won’t resize, if you click yes of course it will resize

3 Likes

I have a question, when we turn an union into a mesh will it save the color of the union onto the mesh as well?

1 Like

No, you need to grab the color from the original model.

1 Like

Unions tend to disappear a lot and, it’s happened to me multiple times, whereas, I’ve never had a mesh suddenly disappear, so, even if it doesn’t increase performance, the chance of work suddenly disappearing should decrease by a significant amount.
I’d recommend staying away from unions until this issue is resolved.

3 Likes

I haven’t had any issues with unions in the past years, and I use them for every build I do ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Thought that may be true to you, I’ve had many problems with unions in the past. Sometimes with very detailed unions, they wont save correctly and end up disappearing when you open up the file. Those glitched unions can not be separated or union-ed again too. When you try, it just disappears too.

2 Likes

I actually had the same issue with unions on a major scale but I got it solved.

unions disappearing

EDIT: In short just go to configure place → history and then revert back to the version before you performed the union operation to recover those parts those parts, then reunion them.

Personally, I convert over to .obj due to scaling, however, F3X does work as well. Otherwise, a decent guide overall!

Can F3X scale unions? I believe it can only scale parts and models(several with parts). :thinking:

F3X does not convert size the same way as obj; OBJ imports at a 1:1 size

Yeah but I mean is it actually possible for F3X to scale Unions individually on each axis? Even if we apply resize it still scales proportionally right? I am not sure about it as I haven’t tested yet but that’s what I think…If I am wrong then how does it accomplish the task?

When converting via an OBJ, you don’t actually need Blender, and it converts on a 1:1 unit scale - FBX converts on a 1:10 scale or there about when you insert meshparts via the asset explorer, which inserts at the original size.
Edit: Yes, all meshparts will scale properly when resized unless you have holes in your faces.

Is it possible to convert Unions to Meshes while keeping multiple colors inside of a single color?

Sort of, although it depends on the specifics of the operation that you wish to perform.
If you wish to export multiple parts/unions with different colors to one mesh, you’ll want to use a texture map. Videos such as this on YouTube can explain how to create a texture bound to the geometry of an object; I would recommend watching them for more information.

2 Likes