How to create a great horror story/game?

Hello! I’ve always enjoyed horror games, and the interesting stories hidden in them which makes them unique to the rest. I would like to make one of these “horror games” and hope it would get popular.

I’m pretty good with stories, so I’m good with the 'lore" of games, but I will need help with ideas for the setting, game titles, and I wouldn’t want to add any jumpscares because I feel they are too overused in these horror games. So, I would also want interesting and unique features that make it feel new and give players quite a scare, not the feeling of, "Oh, I’ve seen this before in other horror games.

I’ve thought of having a lighter and having it have a limit for each time you turn it on. For example, you can use it for around 10-20 seconds, before the flame goes out and you have to wait a bit before using it again. I’ve also thought of an interesting thing, 9similar to FNAF 3) where if you see a mysterious creature or something paranormal happen, lurking around your location, you’ll have a lot of gasping for breath and fear, so you’ll have to walk slow for a short while. That’s all I have, though, so I will need to ask for your help if you don’t mind!

-Yoyoimafan😊

4 Likes