How to Create a Hitbox Like Mortem Metallum

1. What do you want to achieve?
    I’ve been working on creating a game similar to Mortem Metallum for several years. One of my main goals is to implement an accurate and efficient hitbox like the one used in Mortem Metallum.

2. What is the issue?
    In my current game, the hitbox is implemented by detecting hits on the client side using Raycast, and then verifying them on the server side. I believe Mortem Metallum uses a similar approach. However, I’m facing difficulties with the server-side verification process. There seems to be a subtle but significant difference between the hitbox in Mortem Metallum and the one I’ve implemented, which affects the accuracy.

3. What solutions have you tried so far?
    It seems like Mortem Metallum allows for about a 3-stud margin of error when performing server-side checks. I’ve tested this approach multiple times, but it hasn’t worked out for me. I’ve also tried completely disabling server-side verification, but this resulted in an inaccurate hitbox.

I’ve attempted to reach out to the developer of Mortem Metallum for guidance, but I haven’t received a response yet. I’m looking for any advice or solutions to resolve this issue.

If there’s any insight into why my attempts have failed or if there’s a different approach to creating a hitbox similar to Mortem Metallum, I would greatly appreciate the details.

I use HitboxClass | v1.1B | A Powerful OOP-based Hitbox Module for hitbox managing. It’s very powerful and might help

1 Like

Mortem Metallum uses RaycastHitbox, so it probably won’t use it.

2 Likes