How Do I Fix High Graphics Making Particles Look Dimmer?

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!

I want to create a bright lightning effect that surrounds a player, like in this video https://twitter.com/Mxstified/status/1407118871627108364

1. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!

On graphics 8 or higher, the lightning particle that I create gets dimmer if it’s in front of a player’s body, and it almost seems like its inside of the body instead of surrounding it. Here’s a clip of what I mean.

https://gyazo.com/02f54311c69cd7136a2019030e84cae9

When I change the graphics level to high, it gets darker for some reason. How can I prevent this from happening, or work around this to where I can get a lightning particle/effect surrounding the player on any graphics level like in the tweet?

1. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?

I’ve tried changing the z offset, changing the brightness, and I’ve asked this question multiple times in 4 different effect/developing discord servers, and nobody has given me a solution that works. Most just say “change the z offset” which is the first thing I tried, and it didn’t work. I’ve looked for solutions here too, but didn’t find any so I decided to ask the question myself.

1 Like

You should try testing how the particle behaves when its inside of a part that doesn’t have a shadow and is invisible and see if it still dims the particle.

If it does you could test with high graphics again and then try changing the ParticleEmitter properties to see what exactly makes it dim the particles.

I think I found a potential solution when you suggested to make the part invisible. So I noticed that once the transparency of the parts are 0.02 or higher, then the particle is back to its normal brightness. I could just change all the parts that have the lightning around them to 0.02, my only problem is, when I get close to the player while they are transparent, you can see through their body more than usual at certain angles. Heres a clip of what I mean. The model to the left has a transparency of 0.02 for each part, and the right has a transparency of 0. https://gyazo.com/6222c3062265b18c625c5faf02b05d49 . Is there a way to keep the transparency 0.02, but stop the parts from appearing more transparent at certain angles?

Just to make sure, did you try setting LightInfluence to 0? It might be making your particle darker because a part of the particle is kind of in a darker place than the particle that is inside of an invisible part.
I don’t think there is a fix for the bug you just described, maybe you should play with other ParticleEmitter settings while playing on the highest setting to see if it fixes itself!

Yeah the LightInfluence is set to 0 in the clips i sent, and alright I’ll try messing with the settings and see if I can find a solution. Thanks for your help.

I’m having the same issue in game. Particle emitters brightness should not be affected by a players graphics quality, especially considering in this scenario lower graphics actually make the particle emitters look brighter.