How to fix lag from using self-created models and unions

So I wanna practice by Roblox Studio buidling skills by making a showcase, I haven’t used it for nearly a year due to making YouTube videos and irl schedules, but that’s aside…

So for now, I called this showcase “The Town”, until I or you all can, come up with a name that is catchy, now by obvious, there is no lighting or ambience effects around the map, here some screenshots…

The theme is that this is an abandoned town, so old building are here and there, trash everywhere, building rot here and there…

So, here’s the problem:-
As I playtest this, I was getting intense lag, which I understand that its because of the models and unions that consists of quite a number of parts overall, but i don’t wanna reduce the parts or delete them, or whatsoever…

The plants you see at the corner in the second picture are free texture models, which at first has scripts in them which I then later delete them and optimize the game performance overall…
But however, that didn’t help things…

So my question is: How to fix lag from using self-created models and unions

Do I need to export something, do this and that…, please let me know, thanks in advance🙏

4 Likes

to lower build lag, I’d make all of the small parts uncollidable and use a large invisible part as the hitbox

there are definitely other stuff you can do, like use meshes for the whole building and textures for the bricks so that the quality lowers at a distance, but I’m not familiar with setting that up properly

3 Likes

You will want to look into using StreamingEnabled so that your buildings render in only when you are close to them.

Also disable cast shadows where you don’t need them, and no collision as previously suggested.

There are a few other things you can do, check out this link:

2 Likes

I mean, you’re kinda true with it, basically, from far view to be able to view while if you go closer, all you see is just sprites or in simpler, low quality pictures and textures

Also, would you mind explaining how adding a single invisible block as a hitbox makes it a lot less laggier…?
You can go in-depth, i’m still learning…

I’ll take it into consideration…:+1:

1 Like

@RMofSBI I’d tested it all, enabling StreamingEnabled, disabling cast shadows by unchecking global shadows, and set CanCollide to all of the parts to false, and I don’t think it gave much of a difference…

But hey, thanks for the suggestions👍

1 Like

making a lot uncollidable lowers lag from the physics service because itt needs to handle less possible collisions each frame

1 Like

So basically I just gotta make all of the parts that are far for view and kinda far of view to be set CanCollide = false, basically…

Or its just that all of the buildings need to be so…
Sorry, I’m a little bit confused with your sentence that’s all…

I’d make every part in each building CanCollide=false, then have an invisible Box part that’s about the size of the building for players to collide with if they talk into the building

and if there’s a chance for them to jump high enough, you may need to make a part for the hitbox of the plants on window sills too

2 Likes

Oh I see where you getting there, alright I’ll take that into consideration…

I’ve watched this video recently on how to remove lag if I’m managing a ton of parts, and it helps a ton, basically I was able to optimize the frame rate to around 27-30 frames, its a little lag indeed, but it did work during playtest…

Thank you @4SHN for the tip, it should help me while dealing with bigger builds projects in the future😀

This will help with your end of things… it won’t affect gameplay for others though… I believe it just improves rendering within studio.

For gameplay the streamingenabled should be helping a lot, and if it didn’t then maybe try to adjust the min and max render distance.

1 Like