How to get a player's entire model, not just their assets?

i want to get the players model for a start screen

I tried using game.Players:GetCharacterAppearanceAsync() but that only returns their assets. I want the character’s entire model, and i have no clue how to do it

Is there a function for this that i dont know about, or is there some method of building a custom rig and then adhering the player’s assets to it?

7 Likes

You can use Players:GetCharacterAppearanceInfoAsync().
This is different than Players:GetCharacterAppearanceAsync().

There is documentation for it here:

You can use InsertService:LoadAsset() to piece together the character with all of the info it gives you.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year :partying_face:

You can’t get a player’s entire model because that’s not how appearance loading works. A character’s appearance is applied against a default template rig construct. You are able to obtain this construct through the animation editor and it’s rig creator. From there, it’s about applying the character’s appearance to said rig to make it appear like the player.

Provided HumanoidDescriptions have been updated to work on NPCs, the easiest way to go about loading an avatar onto a blank construct is to apply what gets returned from GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId.

1 Like

You can get an answer from this thread:

This part specifically:

2 Likes

Thanks guys. one last thing tho, i’ve been trying to loop through the getinfoasync and apply it to the humanoid description, but i dont quite know how. Is there a way to iterate through a humanoidDescription’s properties, or do i have to set them manually?

local charModel = game.Players:GetCharacterAppearanceInfoAsync(Player.UserId)
local loadModel = spawnModel.Dummy

wait()

spawnModel.Parent = game.Workspace

for _, i in pairs(charModel) do
	if i then
		if typeof(i) == "table" then
			for _, k in pairs(i) do
				loadModel.Humanoid.HumanoidDescription[k] = k
			end
		else
			loadModel.Humanoid.HumanoidDescription[i] = i
		end
	end
end

You would have to set them manually. In the documentation I provided, it shows the information that you are provided with and how it’s indexed.

For example:
loadModel.Humanoid.HumanoidDescription.LeftArmColor = BrickColor.new(charModel.bodyColors.leftArmColorId).Color

Edit: it uses BrickColor IDs rather than datatype BrickColor

Took this directly from the posts I linked with minor modifications

local Players = game:GetService("Players")
local Dum = workspace.Dummy
local ID = Players:GetUserIdFromNameAsync("wevetments") --or remove this and put user id

local function CreateOfflineCharacter(UserID, Dummy)
    local Appearance = Players:GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId(UserID)
    Dummy.Humanoid:ApplyDescription(Appearance)
end

CreateOfflineCharacter(ID, Dum)
34 Likes

Thats what i needed. Thank you!

1 Like