How to get a reflective surface

That’s exactly what he did. It gives good, if distorted, results. You can even get rid of this distortion by removing the normal files in the water texture. It does sadly reveal a lot of the imperfections of screenspace reflections.

Here’s an example.

5 Likes

That’s really cool, I just didn’t do it because I thought the water would clip through the parts - I guess I could just add the water under the part and change the transparency.

Thanks a lot man, it really helps.

Only problem with that is that its local to the client. nobody else would see this. Therefor its cool looking for a personal showcase, but pointless for making an actual game

its cool!
however you can quite literally just change the part color to maybe pearl and reflectance to like 0.9

How did you exactly remove the distortions? Is it present somewhere in a script? I have been trying to do that, if you could help I’d be grateful.

Go into your Roblox Studio or regular Roblox folder, search for ‘water’ in the explorer, open the folder and move all the images to any other folder as a backup.

It’s only local, so don’t make a game with it as a centerpiece.

But that must remove it for forever, if we wanna use water sometime again as a terrain…or am I wrong?

It removes water refraction for all terrain water in every game as long as the water folder is empty. If you want water to return to normal you’ll have to put the images back into the water folder.

3 Likes

so we can make “reflective textures” in roblox

I just realized how many people didn’t know about this.

Thanks so much! This is an amazing trick to know when making showcases.

You could very much apply water (terrain water) below a demi transparent part, it will reflect because the roblox water has reflectivness so yes it will mirror your objects! just set wave size and wave speed to 0. And reflectivness to 1

Using this method will cause ripple on the part.

Yes but thats why you turn wavespeed to 0 same goes with wavesize