How to get a server Location on Roblox

How are you able to confirm it’s the actual servers information? rather than some data transfer station or a player?

2 Likes

I don’t know if my response is related to your problem, but:

When you are running that in Studio, yes, it actually gets your information since for Roblox Studio, your Computer is the Server. That should not be a problem if you run it in an actual Game Session using the Roblox Client.

2 Likes

Not everyone can run a game server, only Roblox can.

2 Likes

ip-api’s free api is no longer functional apparently?

1 Like

I’m sorry but it says its still for free.

For non-commercial use cases though.

chrome_xwFiKIJG2e

1 Like

It’s not a commercial website I mean, isn’t it?

:skull: If not, I cannot host the API sadly, I barely have a dollar lol

I think Public Games are something Commercial.

1 Like

It’s not a website so its never an issue, perhaps they meant by using it for enterprises.

There’s a difference between games and businesses, games are not business’s.

1 Like

Yes they can be businesses. Anything that returns a profit is a business.

1 Like

As long as a Game generates profit, it is a commercial product. You need a paid plan.

1 Like

The person whose using the api should pay for it, not me, I just told how the api works and how to use it.

Agreed.

If I’m not wrong, I think I know a service or two that offer geolocation for commercial use for free. I use it for my website to get visitors’ location. However these only give you the Country, not the City, ZIP Code, etc.

I will look into the code later and I will send the name of that service here for the people that want an alternative because I forgot their name.

EDIT: Here it is: https://iplocation.net.

3 Likes

In this case, being forced to use an external API for information that should be available to developers isn’t ideal

4 Likes

The previous API host has canceled their FREE SERVICES, and many games are unable to get the Server Location, the tutorial has been updated to continue using the server location in Roblox for free.

No wonder why it doesn’t work anymore… I’ve been trying to get it to work for months now. Sad that ip-api cancelled their free services.

But I have found another free way and it works alright :)!

Yep! It works pretty well. Though, I’ve ran into some cases where it’s come out with the wrong server location - for instance in an AU server (Australia), it says it’s actually in US (United States).

Could I know how you found out the actual server location is US but not AU?

Is it by your studio client location? or anything else