How To Have Functioning Emissive Textures!

How would you apply this effect to a player character? I’ve tried parenting the part to the workspace and welding it to the character from there and it seemed to work in studio but not when I actually play the game.

1 Like

Just a heads up, if a texture’s parent/ancestors have a humanoid parented to it, it will fix this trick. You cannot set colors above 255 when a humanoid is present.

1 Like

I did some testing and apparently under certain circumstances doing this can cause serious graphical bugs in future lighting

1 Like

I haven’t tested this with Future yet, though I believe Compatibility renders this “feature” disabled?

No, it works fine in Compatibility. It’s just Future that has issues. The bug triggers less frequently the lower the color value is.

Does anyone have any hints on how this can be done with a skinned mesh model? The Emissive Texture only works with Decals or Texture Object Both uses faces and not with SurfaceAppearance, Would I have to somehow draw a custom texture for each face?

Roblox does not have Emissive Texture Maps, and I’m pretty sure SurfaceGui’s do not wrap on meshes, so there’s now way to get away with this on a curved surface. If It’s flat surfaces, you can manually make emissive images with SurfaceGui ImageLabels on each spot, or just use Neon Parts.

1 Like

The solution was to use vertex coloring in blender, which when imported into roblox will transfer and reflect the material used for the mesh. In this case neon.

1 Like

Would setting the surface to an emission texture in blender also import similarly? I have a really nice lightsaber blade I was looking to use

As far as I’m aware, no. At this time Roblox does not support anytime of emissive textures. This is the only method I found to use the Emissive texture on roblox; Neon

3 Likes

I set my decal to [9999, 9999, 9999] and the floor has this extreme bright red reflection for no reason, that starts to fade away slowly and then instantly comes back. Are there any workarounds for this issue?

P/S: I’m using ShadowMap.

Edit: Nvm, it has since changed to this and honestly I don’t think there’s even a workaround lol. At this point I’m just disappointed that Roblox has yet to add emissive texture.

1 Like

This is due to EnvironmentSpecularScale under Lighting.

I’d personally set it to 0 or a really low value. EnvironmentSpecularScale tries to add cube-map reflections to everything, regardless if it’s supposed to be super shiny or not. Looks awful in most use-cases.

2 Likes

can you repost this video? i think it got taken down

can you give us a tutorial? this sounds intresting

Video is dead and gone along with gfycat, sorry. IIRC the video was of a flat electricity / lightning texture using the forcefield material with a particular gradient on the texture to create an interesting force field animation flowing through the texture.

2 Likes