How to improve collisions between a part with a hole and a cylindrical pole?

I currently have a cylindrical union (CollisionFidelity has been set to PreciseConvexDecomposition) with a hole cut in the centre, and I want it to be able to go into another platform that has a cylindrical pole. However, when I try to place the platform into the pole, the platform begins clipping uncontrollably, as if the hole doesn’t exist:

This is how I want the platform and the pole to interact:

How could I improve the collisions between the 2 parts?

Collisions have always been a headache for me whether its a mesh or an union, i guess you can use animate / tween instead if that wont affect your end goal?

Unfortunately, since physics is a big part of the game that I’ll be making, tweening/animating is completely out of the question.

1 Like

maybe try making the hole bigger or the cylinder smaller?

There are tools to show you how your Meshes and Unions are physically compared to how they render visually.
Unfortunately I can’t get onto Roblox right now, but here’s a link to another post I made.

If you don’t want the hole in the Part enlarged can you use a CylinderMesh to make the pole just seem larger than it is?
What’s the Mass of the Parts you are dealing with? If you can make the hole part with less mass it may also help with the clipping too.

We’ve so far still had no success with trying to get the collisions to cooperate without resorting to scaling the pole/hole
(Mass of the parts have been drastically reduced; meshes have been experimented but also suffered from the same problem as seen in the below video)

also apparently having safari open brings my laptop to an absolute crawl :grimacing:

Is it just the one MeshPart, or do you have other Parts/Meshes in there that are ConCollide true?
That video just doesn’t make sense, the hole should be there…

How small do you have to make the pole diameter to fit inside the Mesh?

In Studio Settings there’s one in Physics that’s called Show Collisions. It’s super helpful when dealing with physical items. It shows red spheres where items collide while in Test mode.

In Studio Settings there’s one in Physics that’s called Show Collisions

Hmm, I don’t have that option at all when I open Studio Settings

Sorry,
Are Contact Points Shown

Yeah uhh, I believe this might not be the most optimal approach.

(This is a different set of sticks and holes suffering from the same problem; the sticks are .121 stud in diameter)

Although it does show you what appears to be 6 contact points.

What size is the hole in the first piece, and what size is the pole?

The pole has a diameter of 1.121 studs and I believe the hole has a diameter of 1.2

Are you absolutely sure there’s not a fragment of the Meshpart in the way?

Have you tried using 4 separate Parts that are Cancollide true in a square around the hole, make the Mesh CanCollide false and then Weld them together?

Hang on, I just looked at your video again and noticed it looks like you’ve got 2 MeshParts there. One has what looks like the PreciseConvexDecomposition with coloured faces, and the other looks like it’s set to Hull with white faces (Hull or Box show up as solid colours).