How to make a badge list

https://badges.roblox.com/docs#!/v1

It would be cool if you made an auto list of an badge thing. I gave an api which should help out

it’s pretty simple to do. I could make a tutorial if anyone wants.

3 Likes

Awesome tutorial. I learned a-lot here!

wow cool! Glad I could help u out!!

1 Like

You can change this:

[1] = {
		["name"] = "Badge1", -- change to the name of the frame that holds the badge's ui
		["displayName"] = "SBS welcome badge", -- change to the name of the badge
		['id'] = 174605507 -- change to badge id
	}

To something like this:

[174605507] = {
		["name"] = "Badge1", -- change to the name of the frame that holds the badge's ui
		["displayName"] = "SBS welcome badge", -- change to the name of the badge
	}

[1], formerly a never-used value, is changed to [BADGE ID].

It’s probably just for preference, but this way you don’t have a useless index value. (Probably saves a negligible amount of memory too depending on where you store this)

this sounds interesting.

But how would you access the badge id like this?

1 Like
for i,v in pairs(badges) do
print('badge ID: ' .. i)
print('badge name: ' .. v.name
end
3 Likes

This is something I’ve actually been looking for so this helped a lot! If you were to add more information such as the badge description and the badge icon, how would you go about doing that?

['displayDescription'] =  "Whatever my badge description says"

local badgeDescription = data.displayDescription

Would I need to do something like that? (Sorry I’m a new scripter so I am still trying to learn and grasp concepts.)

It’s really simple to do.

Yes you would do something like this.

Sorry I’m quite new to scripting, but when I test the badge list tutorial.rblx, it displays the Badge Ownership as if I owned it, but I don’t, and I noticed that it changes it after exactly 100 heartbeats

1 Like

hmm I’ll look into it, thanks for the report.

thanks, i’ve gone ahead and fixed the placefile + fixed the tutorial code.

I’d recommend anyone who’s used this to update their code in order to fix these bugs. Thanks @RoombaRobot.

1 Like

Would this work for a game with more than 50+ badges. Since im calling with UserHasBadgeAsync, and sometimes it doesnt return any sort of value. (Pcalls)

The badge frame would have to be offset size and the scrollingframe’s Y canvas size would have to be huge. @TheH0meLands you might wanna say this in the tutorial since this is a common confusion.

1 Like

Great tutorial, however I saw a post about having large amounts of badges and though I haven’t tested it yet, it might be more efficient to do something like this:

local badgeService = game:GetService("BadgeService")
local players = game:GetService("Players")

local player = players.LocalPlayer

local badgesHolder = script.parent.Badges
--Frame of badges

local function GetInfoName(badgeid)
	local asset = game:GetService("BadgeService"):GetBadgeInfoAsync(badgeid)
	return asset.Name
end
local function GetInfoDescription(badgeid)
	return asset.Description
end
local function GetInfoImage(badgeid)
	return asset.IconImageId
end

local badges = {
	[1] = {
		["icon"] = "i", -- change to the name of the frame that holds the badge's ui
		["displayName"] = "i", -- change to the name of the badge
		["description"] = "i",
		["id"] = 2580515292,
	},
	[2] = {
		["icon"] = "i", -- change to the name of the frame that holds the badge's ui
		["displayName"] = "i", -- change to the name of the badge
		["description"] = "i",-- change to badge id
		["id"] = 2125905166,
	},
}

for _, data in ipairs(badges) do
	local badgeId = data.id

data.displayName = GetInfoName(badgeId)
	data.description = GetInfoDescription(badgeId)
	data.icon = GetInfoImage(badgeId)

local frameInstance = badgesHolder.Sample:Clone() --Cloning a object inside the frame will be more efficient for players who have lots of badges

frameInstance.Icon.Image = ("rbxassetid://"..data.icon) 
	frameInstance:WaitForChild("Name").Text = data.displayName  --using frameinstance.Name would return a error as it would reference the actual name of the instance instead of the child
	frameInstance.Description.Text = data.description

local success, ownsBadge = pcall(function()
		return badgeService:UserHasBadgeAsync(player.UserId, badgeId)
	end)
	if success and ownsBadge  then
                --Do stuff if they own it, I have a lock icon thats set to be invisible
		frameInstance.Icon.Lock.Visible = false
	else
                 --Do stuff if they don't own it, I have a lock icon thats set to be visible
		frameInstance.Icon.Lock.Visible = true
	end
end

If anyone wants to use this then they should add some pcall functions around the BadgeService calls.

Screenshot 2022-07-27 230744
This is the setup I used which might be used in the code example I posted. It uses a list layout to automatically place everything inside the scrollingframe.

It justs makes the process of adding badges a bit easier and uses the badge service which is helpful for new developers to get introduced to.

Edit: I updated fixed some errors I has while testing this morning and now I have an image attached of how it looks below:

Since my badges are dark themed ill set the lock to be cyan with a black outline however anyone using this should update it accordingly.

4 Likes

@Va13Official why do you need to update it accordingly?

1 Like

You’d need to change the UI style and colors so that it fits your game is what I meant

Sorry for the bump but does anyone think I should make a remastered version of this? Frankly the script fails when given lots of badges. And after working on a find the badge game around the summer, I think it would be better for me to create an updated tutorial which is more efficient and faster through datastores.

• yes, remaster
  • no, don’t remaster

0 voters

1 Like

I would love a tutorial on a auto badge list

What does this do exactly?
blah blah blah blah, char minimum, blah blah bla
bump im srry :(((