How to Make a Game Have Low Resolution Graphics

I'm trying to create a game that has graphics likened to the PS1. I would like to find a fast, efficient way of creating low resolution graphics. I'm a decent blender modeler, so I don't have a problem with meshes, but if I could find a way to have the same lighting and graphics as a PS1 game, that would be perfect.
A better way to describe what I mean is with this game:

(Note: This game is not mine, please give credit to the original creator.) Here is a picture incase you don’t have the time to play it:

I was thinking of somehow pixelating, or lowering the resolution of the roblox textures we have now, but I’m not sure how I’d do that. Any help would be appreciated.

8 Likes

There’s another similar post that has an answer!

3 Likes

This does help me with the screen effect, but I still need to find a way to get the low quality textures.
Thank you though!

1 Like

Do you mean the part/mesh textures or the grain texture? The parts uses custom textures the pixelated effect comes from a mixture of lighting and the grain effect.

1 Like

oh my gosh this is so cool something very unique for roblox

1 Like

I’m looking for the mesh textures. I just want to take a random grass texture, then somehow change the resolution to a much lower quality, giving it a pixelated effect as seen on the ground in the picture.

Just find low resolution grass textures on google.

Something that could help. For lighting, you could set the Technology property in Lighting to Compatibility, then you should make sure all lighting effects are off like sunrays, specular mapping, etc

This wont make it fully look like one, but it will probably help.

2 Likes

Probably, I’m still trying to find the easiest method to make the roblox textures we have now lower resolution. It’s a lot harder to do than I thought.

Yeah to lower the resolution for the textures, you’ll need to upload your own version of those textures at a lower resolution. I’d recommend using a program like paint.net, shrinking the actual image’s resolution, saving and then enlarging it to the default roblox decal size. That should give you a texture at a lower resolution with minimal anti aliasing.

1 Like

Hmm, good idea. I’ll be sure to try that.

Dark lighting, low res textures, along with more low-poly shapes will kind of achieve a similar look in my opinion. Just think low-ploy with an attempt to be realistic.

It would be alot easier if Roblox had a lot more limits :laughing: It’s difficult, because when I build, I aim for realism, so even if I try my hardest, I always want to go for realism.