How to make a writtable paper

Trying with a
script.Parent.Parent.RemoteEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, text) but still doing the same
– Edit –
Wrote :
local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer

Okay I am still confused exactly how you have this setup, but if you have stringvalue with a string in it and want it to be the text of a textbox you can do

local string = Instance.new("String Value")

string.Value = "stringy"

texbox.Text = string.Value

Yes the player parameter is always passed first. I don’t know if that is his problem or not.

Already created a stringvalue, stored in the model

Okay well I still don’t know where the point of error is, you have just told me that.

So what you have to do is Debug to find where the error is. An easy way to debug is to put print statements in various locations and see if they are printing out the correct things. There is also the lua debugger.

So can you try to pinpoint whats going wrong:

Is the problem on the Server?
Is the problem on the Client?
Is the problem the Server is not picking up the right information from the RemoteEvent?
Is the problem the StringValue is not saving the text?
etc.

Ok, imma reexplain.
When the player click the part, it clones the ScreenGui stored in the model. This gui have the CONTENT of the textbox. When the player closes the gui after editing, it’ll place what he wrote inside a stringvalue, and this stringvalue will replace the default text of the model with what the player wrote, so everybody can edit it. The problem is that the text doesn’t save

“The problem is that the text doesn’t save” is very vague, Lua doesn’t know what “save” means so you are not going to see an error saying “Error the text didn’t save”

I made a note/paper viewer and saver. (altogether)

You can take a look at it, if you want:

I actually just worked on this!!!

Here is an idea for you and this works perfectly for you to understand!

LOCAL SCRIPT FOR TEXT THE USER INPUTS (CLIENT) -

local Player = script.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent
local Char = Player.Character
local SignText = script.Parent.Parent.TextBox

SignText.FocusLost:Connect(function(enterPressed)
	if enterPressed then
		local SignTextText = SignText.Text
		game.ReplicatedStorage.ChangeText:FireServer(SignTextText)
	end
end)

SERVER SCRIPT FOR OTHER USERS TO SEE TEXT (SERVER)

local Player = script.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent
local Char = Player.Character
local SignText = script.Parent.Parent.TextBox

game.ReplicatedStorage.ChangeText.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, SignTextText)
	Char.CustomizableSign.SignPart.SurfaceGui.Frame.UserText.Text = tostring(SignTextText)
end)

Basically what were doing is, when the player hits enter or enters there text on the paper or gui. It will send a SERVER EVENT to the Remote Event called “ChangeText” then in the Server Script on the server side (so other players will see) It will display the text the player sent.

1 Like

@DevCramp
This is the path for the thing

Did you check out the thing I sent? I just updated it.

Oh? Updated it?
Imma reinstall it then

Is the RemoteEvent supposed to fire, when you click the TextButton?

The gui thing that you provid me isn’t really the goal expected, thanks for your time, but it isn’t supposed to put it in a gui. It is suppose to update the default model that is going to be cloned into player gui, so only player that click the paper thing can see it

I can negotiate with that, just tell me what exactly to do, and I’ll fix.

Even Better:
You can download the model, and send it here, so I understand better. Then I’ll return.

Ok so lemme explain :
TO make a thing like RP : Scientist can wrote note with paper presents around the map.
When the scientisit click on it, it opens the gui (clone the gi present in the model, in the playergui), then they can edit it. When they close it (destroy the gui), it places what they wrote inside a stringvalue, and modify the default model with the text they wrote

For example, like a paper just lying on the floor, and someone clicks it, and it shows a note???

Is that the goal?

Exactly !
So player can read what players wrote, and edit it

So people can edit a note, that has already been written on???

1 Like

Yep !
So scientist can make like report of an experience and show their works

Do you mean: Scientest makes note, and players can reply, but not edit?