How to make evenly-built structures on ROBLOX

I’m a very good builder on ROBLOX, but there is this issue that I have been going through for years. I get around it most of the time, but on some circumstances it gets really hard to get around.

Typically when I am building something, I usually measure by 2, 4, 6 + which sometimes does half of a job.

. It creates a somewhat even build but for me, I am sure that I am doing something wrong.

When creating this, I measured by 2’s but there’s an issue.

. It looks fine so far, but getting to the last few points of its construction, there’s this. , which means I didn’t measure and do the increments right. If I would’ve measured and done the increments right, it would have perfectly closed off instead of creating a gap. Any building tips?

1 Like

Unfortunately it usually requires a good deal of math, especially for round structures. Understanding angles is a must, and really just comes down to planning and practice.

Start with a center point (to use as a pivot, since most building plugins have this function) and a greybox (look it up if you don’t know) that you can use as a reference, then using an iterative approach, add more detail and refine the shape as you go.

6 Likes

A good plugin for this is the EBR SBS plugin. It allows you to create the segment you want and rotate it around a central Part using the Rotate ‘Center’ Tool, then you can refine the overlapping edges to make the segment fit together on either edge.
If you rotate by an angle that divides into 360 degrees evenly then the edges will align at the end of your project.

Hello. Do you have a video example of this feature? That would be great and much better understanding, thanks!

If you put a Part in the Center of your building (I usually note which axis it’s on, like 25.4 studs on the X axis and 300 studs on the y axis), now build your arc segment centered on one of those values so it’s at the distance you want it from the Center.
When you have the arc segment somewhat finished select all the Parts in the arc. Now go to the SBS tool and put a value in the Rotate box. Your dome appears to be made of 20 segments, so 360 / 20 = 18 degrees.
With the arc Parts selected hit Ctrl D to Duplicate them and Right Click on the Center Part. You’ll see the rotate tool handles locate to the Center Part. Now drag the tool handle around one 18 degree rotation and the copied arc segments will spin around the center 18 degrees.
You’ll have to align the edges of both arc segments so they align properly. After you do that you can copy/paste/rotate the arc around each time and it’ll align with it’s predecessor and match up in the final location too.

I’ll experiment with that information, thank you very much!

Thank you very much! I will also experiment with this information!

You don’t really need to do any math and can figure out the required length in 30 seconds:

Start off with two parts, those being your centerpoint (in my example, the one on the right) and your column (in my example, the one on the left)

Rotate the column by the desired angle around the centerpoint using F3X/SBS pivot rotation (generally 10, 15, or 30 degrees, something that will add up to 90)

Do the same in the opposite direction
Screenshot_1

Now you have the correct distance and the wall can connect seamlessly all around.
Screenshot_2

If you require a shorter or longer wall, all you have to do is move those column parts inward or outward by their local axis.

Alternatively, you can start off with the wall part at the desired length, (useful if you don’t want those in-between column parts) and move them locally until they’re close to connecting. Then, just patch any small gap with resizeallign:
https://gyazo.com/40166bf2fc91ebd81584dbf2f2f4b8b7

If you want more info on the topic of curvature, I wrote a guide here: FP1's Guide to Building Curvature in Studio

1 Like

Hey, so I did the tip you gave out, works good!

Thanks a lot!

1 Like