How to make first person weapons?

Hello,

Dumb question, but what I am trying to ask is, I have seen so many tutorials on YouTube that show how to make first person weapons but none of them work. Either they are free models, kits that don’t explain it, or ones that are outdated.

My goal is to find any resources that can help me with that. I think I have asked this a while back but I am not sure… I want to follow something that shows how I can make the animations without it being super… Linear, if you know what I mean. I also need to understand how things work and what they do. Not every single bit, I don’t know what to call them so I will just call them FPS Guns for now.

I can figure out ammo, raycasting, and all the rigging myself. I already know that stuff. I just need to know how I can actually make the model show up in first person, and how I can animate it.

I just need any resources I can find, any website works. If I find it sketchy then I’m not going to go to click it (for obvious reasons).

Sorry if its too much or anything, I probably sound dumb but I am really curious and none of my other friends know how to explain it to me. Anything helps!

–EDIT–
I’m sure other people would really like to know too. Many other smart minds could make really cool things too!

2 Likes

It’s also worth opening the uncopylocked place and looking at the scripts inside as there are some interesting things in there that aren’t covered by the tutorial. (Such as making the animations feel more natural with springs)

4 Likes

You don’t have to start big. You can start small maybe watching basic guns. From there you can start making FPS weapons. Learning takes time, don’t worry you’ll get there, just start small for now.
Here’s an example of a basic gun:

3 Likes

I know how to make a gun, I’m puzzled by the first person movement though. I don’t need any help on making guns. I actually followed his tutorial but figured out the rest of the things by myself.

1 Like

This should be very helpful, I will take a look at it.

You won’t find an exact, up to date, top of the line tutorial. There is so much back-end stuff with FPS weapons its crazy. Most of the back-end stuff is obfuscated or hard to read. I would suggest learning and feeling comfortable making a normal gun. Then, start to transition yourself into learning camera manipulation, cframes, and client/server side stuff.

It is going to be hard, but with enough practice and a good mindset, anything is possible.

1 Like