How to make it so when a player touches a part, they get a "coin"

I am trying to make it so that when a player touches a part, they get a “coin” which is a currency for the game I am making. The script for the currency is here:

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
	local stats = Instance.new("BoolValue",plr)
	stats.Name = "leaderstats"

local cash = Instance.new("IntValue",stats)
	cash.Name = "Coinn"
	cash.Value = 0
end)
Properties of that script ^^^

Parent: ServerScriptService
Disabled: False
No children

Can someone please explain to me the steps I should take in order to create the script?

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

Pretty simple, You could use a touched event detect if its a humanoid then get the player from the character and add +1 coin to their coins

3 Likes

This can be done with a Touched event, here’s an example

part.Touched:Connect(function(hit)
    if hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
        game.Players:FindFirstChild(hit.Parent.Name).leaderstats.Coins.Value += 1
    end
end)
10 Likes

Alright, but how would I specify that I want to add 1 coin to their coins?

2 Likes

+= 1 – (1 is the value you’re adding)

3 Likes

I also noticed that your leaderstats is a BoolValue, is there any reason for that? I usually make my leaderstats a Folder

4 Likes

Store all the coins in a folder and then just do this:

local PlayersService = game:GetService("Players")

local CoinsFolder = workspace.NameOfFolder

for _, Coin in ipairs(CoinsFolder:GetChildren()) do
    Coin.Touched:Connect(function(Hit)
         local Player = PlayersService:GetPlayerFromCharacter(Hit.Parent)
         if Player then
             Player:WaitForChild("Coinn").Value = Player:WaitForChild("Coinn").Value + 1
         end
    end)
end
3 Likes

I got the script from a youtube tutorial. That’s what the person in the tutorial did, so I did it as well.

2 Likes
part.Touched:Connect(function(hit)
    local plr = game.Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(hit.Parent)
    if plr then
        plr.leaderstats.Coinn.Value = plr.leaderstats.Coinn.Value + 1
    end
end)
3 Likes

Thanks, @WishingTie09120, the script that you gave me, after modification, worked!

3 Likes

You should avoid using the parent argument in instance.new because this requires more internal calls thus making it bad for performance. Instead you should change all the necessary properties in the object and then parent the object as the last thing you do. See here: PSA: Don't use Instance.new() with parent argument

As another side note you should be using a folder instead of a BoolValue for creating leaderstats.

For your question you could attach the .Touched event to each part used to increase coins, this event fires wherever the part is touched by another part. Then each time one of these parts is touched check if a player touched the part by checking for a HumanoidRootPart. Once you know a player has touched the part get the player instance from the character using GetPlayerFromCharacter and increase the coins in the leaderstats.

3 Likes

I would recommend adding a debounce to prevent someone from getting a lot of coins in a second.

6 Likes