How to make real time seamless inverse kinematics in tool

I want to make a real time inverse kinematics 8 ball pool stick that faces the position of the mouse.

That may be easy, but both arms must be put to use with inverse kinematics.

Both hands will be attached to one position, where the arms will be bent based on the position using inverse kinematics

This is the part where I don’t know how to do:

• EVERYTHING!

I have no clue how to make this work, I’m stubbed in math and vector physics.

Once the tool is equipped, IK will be put to use automatically.
Once it the tool is deleted or dequipped, the all IK constraints will be deleted and the arms and character will go back to normal

1 Like

If you just want something that ‘works’ for a video game, refer to 2 Joint 2 Limb Inverse Kinematics

If you wish to build a strong mathematical background and understanding regarding Inverse Kinematics, it will require more work. CS223A at Stanford, which is ‘Introduction to Robotics’ requires Linear Algebra and Calculus as a prerequisite. If you have not taken those courses, I would recommend you do so (or self study). You should then be able to parse coursework regarding basic kinematics and motion. Refer to http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~15464-s13/lectures/lecture6/IK.pdf for a holistic overview on basic kinematic modelling and methods for Jacobian inversion.

1 Like

Unfortunately the thread you linked is outdated and somewhat broken

It’s not serversided either.

You shouldn’t be animating server sided, handling it locally is the right move. If you wanted to do it server sided just moving the code to a server script would handle it fine.

Please let me know how it’s buggy, I’d like to fix it if so.

The demo is designed to have the hand always touch the goal point, so the arm can stretch off the torso. The post outlines how to go about removing that if it’s an undesirable case.

Where does it outline how to remove that undesire case?

And also, once I do get the Ik figured out I also have to figure out how to make it so that if the mouse is behind the player it won’t make it behind, it’ll reverse. And, it is divided by like five times so it’s much less exaggerated than the mouse position is

I sort of have an idea how to divide the mouse position but I’m completely stumped on how to reverse it

1 Like