How to make your lighting more realistic in shadowmap

Holy mother of god that looks great.

34 Likes

Great tutorial! Have been looking something like this.

Do you have any suggestions on finding good skyboxes apart from the library? Maybe any developer that create really great skyboxes or any common skyboxes?

10 Likes

Generally if you look up something along the lines of what your going for you’ll get a pretty good result. For example “afternoon sky” is a good search key to find good skyboxes for that kind of setting. I also look for ones that are real life skyboxes as it gives the map a more realistic feel.
Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for creating this post! it’s important to know just how important lighting is in a scene and it has proven very useful for me.

4 Likes

With the new grass decoration feature coming, the lighting looks even better with this lighting and the grass.

4 Likes

Super great tutorial, nice results.

37 Likes

I’m going to put this into my game. Much love.

5 Likes

I’d be wary of using any ShadowSoftness below around 0.15 - if you make it too small, your shadows start to appear ‘aliased’, especially along diagonals. 0.15 still makes for a nice crisp look without exposing the aliasing, from my own testing :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Amazing, I’ll try this lighting in my game.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can see that, one thing I didn’t mention is that with the varying cloud levels you can increase the softness relative to the overcast scene, but yes it depends, I personally prefer 0 as my artistic lighting works with the sharp shadows, that’s why I put it in the tutorial, however as you say 0.15 works great as well and in cases can avoid the aliasing :smile:

2 Likes

Oh. My. God.

18 Likes

Thank you dude!
This is so helpful :smiley:

4 Likes

This may be off-topic, but are those roads in those screenshots decals?

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been trying to find night shaders now I can use them! :smiley:

3 Likes

No they’re not, they’re textured meshes. The meshes were spliced correctly so the collision mesh would fit well :+1:

5 Likes

Hey great job one question how did you get the trees to be so realistic.

4 Likes

In the tutorial I didn’t see anything about SunRaysEffect so I’d hope that you add it (I already know it but it would be helpful for others who are reading this tutorial)!

3 Likes

Trees were realistic because they’re a mesh with a leaf texture on them. The mesh itself is composed of only bent planes, and the texture on those planes is the branch and the leaves on it. It makes for a pretty nice effect when you make the mesh transparent and the texture visible.

3 Likes

One con about having ShadowSoftness to 0, is that though it is more crisp, it will be pixely up close which might ruin the realism a bit.

Quite Amazing. This may help in the future

1 Like